American Version of the Chaos Cutting Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSmith

New User
David
I don't usually try different designs preferring to stay with the tried and true designs that have worked so well in the past. So with a little extra time in the shop I decided to give this design a try. Instead of using just two different species of wood, I choose four, maple, mahogany, cherry and walnut. We glued the initial blank then cut and glued the pices an additional four times which resulted in the two boards. The original maker used scraps, I choose to use first quality wood.

DWS_0850.jpg

DWS_0852.jpg

If I were to make these again, I would do some assembly and cutting functions somewhat differently with possibly better results.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
That is awesome David. Where did you get such a pattern?

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Very cool idea, and nicely done. I haven't made a cutting board in years, but that might be enough to motivate me to try it.

--dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Highly eclectic is all I can say. And very nice - guess I did have more to say.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Wow,hard to comment but Bill pretty much covered it.You have more than a generous amount of patience.

Tony

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Wonderful flat work - chaos is a good name for that piece.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Saw the video, wow that's a lot of work. The result is definitely spectacular though, nobody is going to understand how it was made.
Flattening the board in between cuts is probably the hardest part, unless you have a wide belt sander of course.

Great choice in wood species!

DWSmith

New User
David
One of the knife makers in another forum suggested calling it a Damascus pattern board. The pattern resembles the pattern on a high end Damascus knife, varied and different.

I wish I could adequately describe the methodology I used, I did a few things differently than the Russian to try and minimize the waste factor. He only cut three times after the first gluing, I cut four times. And the wide belt sander makes flattening the raw board much easier.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
And that Russian guy is exactly what I needed for inspiration to get back in the shop. Time to start on Christmas Presents!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS