Ambrosia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayban

New User
Ray
I was given a hundred board feet or so of ambrosia maple for Christmas. I've been trying to come up with ideas of how to use it. Too much of it in one large piece like a table may be overpowering. Has anyone used it in projects that you would be willing to share? So much thought went into the gift, I'm trying to pick just the right thing to build.

I also have exterior fixed shutters to make that are 80 inches tall by 21 inches wide each side panel. Forty eight slats per side with a raised panel on the lower section and a rail just above the raised panel. I thought about making a small jig the router could ride in to cut each mortise for the slats. Forty eight slats per side panel seems like a lot of room for errors with that type arrangement though. I've seen templates made out of aluminum that folks have made. Does anyone know where you can have something like that made near Charlotte? If I can't get a template made, do you have ideas how I can set something like that up to get the slat spacing and angles consistent? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Ambrosia is our favorite wood to turn! We make many small objects with it: Christmas ornaments, pens. jewelry, plates, pill holders, etc. If you don't turn, save your scraps for others, a piece as small as 3/4" x 3/4" by 2" is useful. The holes add character to even bowls and plates. Wrapped candy and chips don't care about the holes. Ambrosia with a white background instead of blue is more desirable. Turning exposes more of the insect damage than many other projects.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like to use Ambrosia Maple as accents along with Walnut in particular for contrast. Mahogany or Sapelle would work as well. That way you can minimize the striking patterns of the Ambrosia in the piece you're building.

Some of my first pieces were small Jewelry / Keepsake boxes with Ambrosia sides and Walnut tops / bottoms or vice versa.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
IMG_0207.jpgThis was made with spalted sycamore and cherry, so any thing from a small box to kitchen cabinets using your ambrosia as panels should work.

BKHam

Bradley
User
turnings, frames, doo dads of all sorts. small tables. here is a mother in law gift i made.
IMG_0170.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 144

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I dont think I would use it for exterior projects. Maple doesnt do well outside. Maybe you caould trade someone here some of it for a more fitting material like Cedar or white oak.

Rayban

New User
Ray
I appreciate all the comments and feedback. I'm always interested in seeing what others are doing and it was nice to see a few projects using ambrosia. I helps me to see photos to get an idea of what woods work well together. I haven't worked with ambrosia before so I don't have experience to draw from. If anyone else has projects I'd love to see those too.

The shutters are a separate project that I'll likely use pine or cypress for. They will be primed and painted and I'll use up all the scraps laying around the shop for slats. I'm just trying to determine the best way to tackle the joinery. I don't get to visit this site as much as I would like but I'm always thankful for the friendliness and assistance offered on this forum.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I looked for a pic of one of the jewelry boxes with Ambrosia but couldn't find one. I'll look again.

Rockler sells a shutter kit that will solve your joinery problems for the shutters. Joe Scharle did a review of that kit somewhere about a year back in the Reviews forum. Might want to search for that. He was pretty happy with the kit if I remember correctly.

Rayban

New User
Ray
Those are awesome danw. I would love to one day try my luck at a violin but I need a lot more practice first.

This was my Christmas present.

20151230_071837.jpg

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I couldn't find any pics of the Ambrosia Box with Walnut top but did find some pictures of the Walnut Jewelry box with Ambrosia top and inside trays.

IMG00044-20101217-1357_600x800_.jpg

IMG00042-20101217-1356_600x800_.jpg

IMG00043-20101217-1357_600x800_.jpg

Ambrosia sides lend themselves really well to making a 4 corner match of the grain pattern. To do so you have to re-saw the piece and then turn it inside out. 2 corners are actually reflections but it gives the appearance of the grain (and wormhole patterns) running completely around the box. I did this with the Walnut here (and the inside trays) but it is not that noticeable in these pictures.

DanR

New User
Dan
I really need to finish the curved from cabinet I started in the Summer. It is quarter sawn white oak with ambosia maple. Here is one of the side panels:
Ambrosia.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS