Amboyna Burl question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
We all know that Amboyna Burl can be turned,but I need to know if anyone has made any other kind of projects out of it.I got an order for a pen holder out of Amboyna Burl.Im gonna use a piece that is 2"thick and 6"x6".I need to make like a stepped block with a concaved dado on each step for the pen to fit in.My question is will the burl wood blow out bad when it is machined?Any imput will be appreaciated.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Out of all the burl I have worked with I find Amboyna the best to work with. I don't think that you will have any problems as long as you make your cuts/routes in several steps. IME it machines like butter.
Oh what I would give to have a 2" thick blank to turn some bowls out of.
I had this piece a while back -
Amboyna_slab_001.jpg

And I turned it into pen blanks :cry_smile

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave when you turned this into pen blanks was it still green - how did you go about doing it

It was wax coated, so I assume it was at least greenish. I just sawed it up on my BS over sized. It took several months for me to get around to turning it .
My user pen sitting on my desk was turned from it -
Copy_of_Pens_337.jpg

So it was stable enough to be worked as I did.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
So you are saying just cut it over size and let it sit for a few months - will it warp - twist - etc. do I need to put weight on them

DaveO

New User
DaveO
So you are saying just cut it over size and let it sit for a few months - will it warp - twist - etc. do I need to put weight on them

I didn't, it seems like a fairly stable burl. I just cut it up and threw it in my pen blank drawer. Cutting it over sized will leave you a lot of room to true it up on the lathe if it was to warp or twist.
The best way to get pen blanks is to buy a board/slab. At .02 BF pre-cut pen blanks can be rather expensive.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I didn't, it seems like a fairly stable burl. I just cut it up and threw it in my pen blank drawer. Cutting it over sized will leave you a lot of room to true it up on the lathe if it was to warp or twist.
The best way to get pen blanks is to buy a board/slab. At .02 BF pre-cut pen blanks can be rather expensive.

:icon_thum Thanks Dave I was just wondering how to in case I run across a not so nice bowl burl and I want to cut it into pen blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors