Am laughing about it now…

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoins

New User
Marvin
Have been working since before Christmas to finish the 2nd phase of re-wiring the house. The first phase was completed in tandem with our kitchen project back in 2007. That thread is: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f90/kitchen-project-picture-heavy-18628/. The final phase includes pulling up the T&G attic floor, rewiring the 2nd floor, insulating the attic, & re-installing the floor.

First, a little background…

The house was built using what we’ll call 2x4 sheets of cement board which was finished in plaster. The cement board sits on a1x4 ledger board nailed to the stud wall. The baseboards nail to the ledger board.

Everything was going well until the last room.

Shop setup in bedroom…
IMG_3064.jpg

Baseboard & ledger board removed… Take advantage of the chase created by using a right angle drill to drill holes thru each stud for wire. Outlets are installed in the baseboards, like the originals.
IMG_3067.jpg

An aside - Unwelcome visitors… Wasps & mud-daubers. Wonder how they got in…
IMG_3069.jpg

Same picture w/no flash – note the daylight that shouldn’t be there…
IMG_3072.jpg

Wiring finished & baseboard reinstalled…
IMG_3073.jpg

The punchline… The week before last, while working on the last room, having completed 3 bedrooms & a bath – when things went a little differently. The ledger board wouldn’t come out – it was sitting on the hardwood floor; creating a risk of damaging both the floor & the plaster if it was forced out. So, I took out the drill & trusty Sawzall to cut a hole between each stud to allow drilling the holes anyway. When sppessssshhhhhhhh, I’d hit a water pipe. A flood ensued. The Sawzall had lived up to its name.

I didn’t cut all the way thru…
IMG_3078.jpg

I have to admit, sitting in the floor with water shooting out of it with a plugged in Sawzall I’d dropped in it, was a scary thing. As I was sitting there with my hand up against the wall blocking the water, calling for my wife for what seemed like an eternity (10-15 seconds), I kept thinking ‘hair dryer in the bathtub!, hair dryer in the bathtub!’, She ran in with towels to slow the water til I could run out to the street & turn off the water with a T-bar. Fortunately, most of the water stayed near the wall & followed the stud cavities to the basement where it could be mopped up. Very little water came out in the foyer & living room ceilings downstairs.

Crisis averted! As I say, we’re to the point of laughing about it now.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
BTDT.
Sawzalls are wonderful tools but they can cause more problems than they solve.
Always use a blade that's just long enough or angle the saw to cut only what you want cut.
Try and cut a window hole to view what's in a stud cavity.
Turn off the water, gas, and any unnecessary power before you start if you're not sure.
'Course, I don't hafta tell you any of this now, do I?:gar-La;

BTW, I like to see outlets in the baseboards like that in older homes. It keeps with the period. WTG for doing it.:icon_thum

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Been There, had Brinks Security drill not one but two holes in a Drain pipe coming from upstairs. Had a teenager with a birthday that evening, he had lots of friends over for the night. Imagine my surprise when I was vacuuming the downstairs floors the next morning. I even told the service man where the pipe was. The pipe he drilled was the main drain from the upstairs. Be thakkful that you cut a supply line. Much better than sewer:embaresse:confused_.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Dnt feel bad Marvin the pro's do this too. The last time this happened at work water was running into patient rooms and offices 3 floors below before our guys got the water cut off. The owner of that construction company was not very happy with his subs that day

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Marvin, Marvin, Marvin, welcome to the club!

I've posted in the past my, uhm, handyman experiences.

I was reading your post, la dee daa, interesting, hmmm, and kaboom. You got me a bust out laughing:rolf:. Not at you, but with you:eek:ccasion1.

I swear, its always, ALWAYS the last room.

I hope you don't use your Sawzall while you are taking a bath though, that would be bad :)

Jim

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Nice job on the recondition Marvin:icon_thum Sorry about the pipe - I haven't been there but I have seen it done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors