Allergic reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Early in the week I thought I got into Poison Ivy, well it turns out it might be a reaction to Walnut. I was in the Walnut Monday and had the reaction I thoought was poison Ivy. I didnt mess in the shop again till yesterday. This morning I have "itches" in new places. I think it might be the Walnut. Anyone have any thoughts on this other than stay away from walnut.

sediener

New User
Steve
Long sleeves? Benadryl cream? ... nevermind, just avoid it. You don't want a reaction in your lungs.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I've heard Walnut can irritate people, but never known anyone with a real severe reaction. I think I'd do some type of test on myself to confirm, and maybe see an allergist ... then decide what to do.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Very interesting. I just googled it and ended up at this page on a tree climber forum. This is what one guy had to say.

"Black walnut trees. Here’s one I am allergic to. The leaves make be break out like poison ivy. These trees have a toxin as well, as known by the Native Americans who would pulverize the hulls and toss them into streams thus killing fish that would float to the top for collection. The hulls will also thwart any kind of plant survival other than the black walnut species."

jsjordan

New User
Joel Jordan
I've had a similar (though mild) reaction to walnut. However, it was only after cutting a bunch with no dust collection, short sleeve t-shirt, and very little ventilation. I know, dumb right but at the time it seemed like a good idea!

Anyway, I've found long sleeves and dust collection (just a shop vac if nothing else) help tremendously. I also shower as soon after the cutting as possible because the fine dust produced by walnut gets into EVRYwhere somehow.:icon_scra

Good luck and if all else fails, just say NO! :eusa_naug

M

McRabbet

Black Walnut is listed as "Moderate" in risk as a Skin and Eye irritant that some people are more sensitive to than others. Symptoms can be much like Poison Ivy. Take a look at this Wood Toxicity Article found in out Link Library under Wood Reference.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I became allergic to eastern cedar last year. Face and eyes puffed up. Never had a problem before. Gave the rest of my stock away. Children's Chewable Benadryl helped a lot.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
You might not show reactions at your first exposure to an allergen. Over time you could develop a sensitivity. Wear a dust mask and protective clothing and get rid of the walnut and dust. I became allergic to cocobolo (of the rosewood family) after doing a few turnings. Breathed the dust and had it on skin. Broke out in hives for over six weeks. Durn near itched to death. Many bottles of Claritin.

Sorry to hear about your problem & hope you feel better.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Thanks Everyone. I hope Its not Walnut allergy. I sure like the look of Walnut.

J

jeff...

Black Walnut is rough, sawing up logs messes me up for days afterwards. I don't think I'm allergic to it, but man does it make me itch if I don't get in the shower quickly after sawing it. Sounds like your way worse than I am with the hives and all... Glad you figured out what it was now you can avoid it.

mcoston2

New User
michael
From my own experience and from what I have read, Blackwalnut is a natural laxitive to humans and the shavings of the black walnut put into the bottom of a pen or cage for animals can kill them.
Black walnut is the rose of woods. It has it's own thorns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS