Air Compressor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
:eusa_thinWell after having to rebuild my HF compressor forthe second time im looking for a better one. Is there any advantage in a 2 stage compared to the single stage in the 20-30 gallon upright range

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Not an up right, but watch CL for used Sears 220 volt, oil lubed, 20 gallon compressors. Last couple were less than $100 each. These things are indestructable, IMHO. Had mine since 1982. In the last couple years, I have bought even older ones for $75 or less.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
A 2 stage will give you a bit higher working pressure (ie 150 psi) but will take longer to reach pressure because a similar sized 2 stage compressor will only pump about 1/2 the volume of air as a single stage compressor whose working pressure is typically around 110 psi.

The Craftsman 20 gal size compressors are plentiful and usually can easily be found used for about $100 or less. Look for one that has a crankcase like a lawnmower with oil in it to lubricate it. Avoid the oil-less type as they don't hold up very well. A good oil type compressor could last you many years in a home shop environment.

When you find one make sure that it runs and builds pressure in a reasonable time or the compressor may have reed valve problems. A replacement reed valve plate is usually about $130, if it is available. Other than the reed valves, very little goes wrong with these compressors, except rarely the pressure switch goes bad. A non Sears replacement pressure switch is usually around $40. Neither one of these repairs is very difficult to do IF you can obtain the parts.

Charley

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Dirk,
in that size range finding a true two stage might be cost prohibitive. Now a two or three cylinder compressor is doable and will give you much more cfm @ it's rated output/ pressure . The pressure capabilities will vary by manufacturer but you very rarely will need much over 100 psi and your important cfm rating will be @ 90psi. Look for an oil lubed pump ,a decent setup for moisture control ,and no large amounts of water in the tank if your looking at a used unit.If he did not drain it before you went to look at it ,he probably did not drain it on a regular basis and rust might be extensive inside. Also ,if you can find a unit that has a good rating with a 1740 rpm motor it will be alot quieter.
Good Luck,
Greg

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
When you find one make sure that it runs and builds pressure in a reasonable time or the compressor may have reed valve problems. A replacement reed valve plate is usually about $130, if it is available. Other than the reed valves, very little goes wrong with these compressors, except rarely the pressure switch goes bad. A non Sears replacement pressure switch is usually around $40. Neither one of these repairs is very difficult to do IF you can obtain the parts.

Charley
Surprisingly compressor parts are very generic. Reed valves form one brand often fit others. I have some CH reeds in a Sanborn comp, direct interchange. Companies farmed out as much of the stuff as they could. As an example, it makes no sense to set a line to build pistons, when Briggs and Stratton make them all day. You might be amazed to learn some compressors contain small engine pistons. I needed a set of gaskets for an older CI sears comp, so I used Dayton from Grainger. They were made by CH.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I bought an upright 5 hp Ingersol Rand over 15 years ago and have had "0" trouble out of it in the years I have had it. It is a single stage oil type compressor and runs on 220 volts. Builds fast and recovers quickly with heavy use. There ya' go Greg. A plug for IR:gar-Bi.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Tracy,
I appreciate that plug ,we always like to hear about the satisfied customer cause we know we'll hear from the unhappy ones regardless of who or what was to blame. I've been testing alot of the small recip's lately and they do perform under the most outrageous conditions(115 degree room temp),under voltage by 15% ,30 degree full load restarts , and whatever the engineers come up with. Again,Thanx for the plug .
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS