Air Brush Kit suggestions

NCJim

Jim
User
My wife wants to try a air brush for painting our wood toys etc. with acrylic paint. I want to get her a kit for Christmas? Any suggestions that will not break the bank? Maybe around $100-$200 range?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Have looked a Grex? I have gotten my hands on one as of yet, but my understanding is they a good product and worth the investment.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Have looked a Grex? I have gotten my hands on one as of yet, but my understanding is they a good product and worth the investment.
They had a display at KWS Extravaganza, great looking sets

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I use these to paint saltwater hard fishing lures.... Nothing fancy but a solid unit and a good place to start for $25.

TIMBERTECH Precision Airbrush Professional Dual Action Airbrush ABPST01 with 1/8’’-1/4’’ Adapter, 6ft Airbrush Hose, 0.2/0.3/0.5mm Nozzles and Needles for Painting, Cake Decorating, Tattoo, Models Art Amazon.com

Echd

C
User
I use these to paint saltwater hard fishing lures.... Nothing fancy but a solid unit and a good place to start for $25.

TIMBERTECH Precision Airbrush Professional Dual Action Airbrush ABPST01 with 1/8’’-1/4’’ Adapter, 6ft Airbrush Hose, 0.2/0.3/0.5mm Nozzles and Needles for Painting, Cake Decorating, Tattoo, Models Art Amazon.com

Looks a lot like the one I buy from harbor freight, forget to clean, and have to replace every year or so.

They work though!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I don't have the air brush, but do use the harbor freight guns. One thing I found when spraying acrylics is the build-up of rust inside the fluid tip if you don't thoroughly dry it out after cleaning. I have found just spraying some DNA through it as a final step eliminates the need to remove the fluid tip every time I use it.

Another thing I have found with the harbor freight guns is that the spring providing tension on the fluid tip is just roughly cut off to length, so the end digs into the fluid tip adjusting knob when you adjust it. This makes it difficult to turn and finely adjust. Putting a small washer inside the knob lets the spring dig into it instead of the knob, and frees it up for smoother operation.

The cheaper spray guns use lesser quality materials, but, with a little ingenuity can be made to work okay. The ones I have used do not provide as good a spray pattern as my old DeVilbiss and Binks guns, though.

Last edited:

ArtVandelay

David
User
My wife wants to try a air brush for painting our wood toys etc. with acrylic paint. I want to get her a kit for Christmas? Any suggestions that will not break the bank? Maybe around $100-$200 range?
Look at the Paasche VL line. You can't find a better quality all around airbrush for that price range. I use them for everything. Createx airbrush paint is also great. I do some t-shirt work with a VL and Createx fabric paint (see pics. BTW, your musical tastes may vary).

Attachments

• 20231126_091249.jpg
    20231126_091249.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 20231126_091226.jpg
    20231126_091226.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36

bruce5918

New User
Bruce
Consider a prevail touch up sprayer. It costs a fraction of the cost of an air brush and should do a good job on toys. I use it for furniture touch-up so I don't have to crank up my hvlp sprayer.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I have used badger brands for 30 years but not with acrylic. They last and unless it has changed they have a life time warranty. I have had them rebuilt several times for the shipping costs. A friend always used the patches. Tips can be changed for small detail work

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Look at the Paasche VL line. You can't find a better quality all around airbrush for that price range. I use them for everything. Createx airbrush paint is also great. I do some t-shirt work with a VL and Createx fabric paint (see pics. BTW, your musical tastes may vary).
David,
I have a dual-action Paasche, but not sure about the input air. Do you know what I should set that to??

ArtVandelay

David
User
David,
I have a dual-action Paasche, but not sure about the input air. Do you know what I should set that to??
It really depends on the viscosity of the paint, the needle/tip size and the surface you're applying it to. I generally spray around 20 to 25 psi but test first. It may take a bit more for some paints but I would try no to go over 35 psi.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
It really depends on the viscosity of the paint, the needle/tip size and the surface you're applying it to. I generally spray around 20 to 25 psi but test first. It may take a bit more for some paints but I would try no to go over 35 psi.
Thanks, I think I was running MUCH lower than that - I thought I had it set around 20 or 25 PSI - but now that I know, I can play around with it...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS