African Mahogony

Status
Not open for further replies.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Can any offer some insight to the outdoor qualities of African Mahogany? The guy at AV Outlet recommended it as a good (read > cheaper) alternative to Teak. I have never used it, so I am looking for some professional insight from you all. I am building a rocket launcher style truck bed rod holder and would like for it to hold up. That will also lead into another question, how do they get the nice glassy finish on Teak, like you see on the piece below:

Also, I know in the long run, it will probably be much cheaper, and easier, to just have an aluminum shop weld me one up and be done with it, but come on, everyone has an aluminum one! :gar-Bi

Thanks all,

Mike

Attachments

• Rocket Launcher.jpg
    Rocket Launcher.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 129

ste6168

New User
Mike
Also, for those who don't live at the coast and see them everywhere, here is an example of the aluminum ones, along with an example of what I would like to build, only with nice wood, nice finish, and stainless rod holders. I currently have the second style in my truck, I built about 5 years ago with a PT 2x8 and plastic rod holders. That is not my truck, however, I did "steal" that guys idea for mine.

Attachments

• truck rod holder 2.jpeg
    truck rod holder 2.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 302
  • rod holder.jpeg
    rod holder.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Truck rod holder.jpeg
    Truck rod holder.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 306

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I must admit I have never heard of a rocket launcher style rod holder - or, for that matter, any other style of rod holder. I assumed it was a device used for shooting off fireworks on the 4th of July. I had to search YouTube to find out what they really were - not all of us are fisherman. That said, I really like the wooden version you're planning to build. Much nicer than the aluminum ones.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
To get that glass look... high quality marine grade spar varnish. Lots of coats... Wet sanding to a gloss at about 2000 grit will make it look like that and last long enough to enjoy. Be aware, it will need a refinish after a few years if not sooner.

ste6168

New User
Mike
I must admit I have never heard of a rocket launcher style rod holder - or, for that matter, any other style of rod holder. I assumed it was a device used for shooting off fireworks on the 4th of July. I had to search YouTube to find out what they really were - not all of us are fisherman. That said, I really like the wooden version you're planning to build. Much nicer than the aluminum ones.

After I made the original post, I thought about that. I probably should have included the second post along with my first! Also, being so close to the 4th of July, I can completely understand where that would come from.

DWSmith

New User
David
Either of the African species of mahogany, Sapele or Khaya, will do well in an outdoors environment. Ribbon Sapele, quarter sawn, has some beautiful swirls and patterns that change as the angle of viewing change. Proper finishing with spar varnish will provide a lot of protection and can be built up with sanding between coats. A final buffing with a high quality compound and wax will bring out a terrific shine and provide a good base for future recoats.

If you can find it, Andiroba, a South American species, is just as good and a little less expensive.

striker

New User
Stephen
Just my opinion, but I think themahogany would be fine for your intended purpose assuming you’re not intendingon lugging offshore equipment (weight) in the rod holders.
The chair /rocket launcher manufacturesuse some schedule of Awlbrite /Imron/ axelseal over an epoxy finish (Westsystem) to get the mirror like finish. Teakbeing an oily wood presents its own problems with finishing. I don’tknow the nuisances of the finishing other than it’s a very labor intensive job. Theother thing to consider is the SS rod holders will set you back some dollars. With all that said, the aluminum racks arelooking better all the time.
You have some experts up the road from you atJarrett Bay Boatworks. They may be ableto fill you in further on what you’re looking to do. . If not, at least you get to see some jawdropping floating furniture while you’re there!

ste6168

New User
Mike
I ended up purchasing a piece a Sapele that should be up to the task. I haven't started working on the rod holder yet, though I did do some layout and planning. If you saw my other thread about the red oak gloat, as soon as I find a place to store the oak, I will work on the rod holder.

As far as the price, I understand this will probably be more expensive than the aluminum ones, actually I KNOW it will be. Guy that owns Mathews welding is a good friend of mine, and I am sure he would build me one if I asked. The cost is not the point, its more of a desire to be different, and create a functional piece for myself. I get a good price on rod holders through Gemlux, and can get stainless rod holders for a decent price. I am figuring the 9 rod holders needed will set me back about $125. Not terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors