Advise on what to use!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I'm going to be making some Cribbage Boards for myself and friends. I'm wondering what everyone thinks would be the best wood. I would like something really decorative and sturdy. I'm leaning toward exotics but what do you guys think?:dontknow:

Zach

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I would maybe use sapele with the gold colored streaks that would look cool.Then maybe use maple for the pegs.Jmy2c

I like the look of sapele as well. Pegs are probably gonna be metal b/c I've had people break them off on accident. I like the look of multiple woods in small pieces as well. What would be the best way to join the woods together and what types of woods do you guys think would contrast best?

Zach

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
As far as glue Tight Bond or any GOOD wood glue.And as far as you peg's Woodcraft or Klingspor sells small dowels. All you would need to do is cut them to length. When you talk about contrasting wood's just use what ever you like.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Ok...I've got to ask: What do you do with your cribbage boards that requires them to be sturdy? I played a fair bit of the game as a kid...and I'm thinking even basswood would do the job :> Is there an x-games version of cribbage that I should know about?

Chris

erasmussen

New User
RAS
do a google search for segmented bowls, and you can get a good idea what woods look good together, there is many choices.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Have you thought about making a large stand alone that you set between chairs? just a thought I got mice piece of spalted maple I might use just for that.

Thanks Mark

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Ok...I've got to ask: What do you do with your cribbage boards that requires them to be sturdy? I played a fair bit of the game as a kid...and I'm thinking even basswood would do the job :> Is there an x-games version of cribbage that I should know about?

Chris

Well, me and the neighbors and wife and friends from work (sailors) play. And we drink...and the game can get intense. Had a board hit the floor once and broke pegs off. It is a true PITA to get pegs that have broken off out of the board without going out to the workshop. I'm going to metal to prevent that. As for the board, I'm going for more of a decorative look that will not dent easily. I want it to look brand new 20 years from now. Plus I'll be making some to order for the friends. This project will be really cool. I'm gonna get a good scroll saw (or borrow one for a bit). I got a few designs I'm working on. One will be the Missile Technician Rating Symbol ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_Technician_(US_Navy) ). One will be a SSBN (Ohio Class). And still working on some other ideas. Anyway...I'm looking foward to this project.

Zach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors