Advice Please on Exterior Finishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Y'all, this time of year I get a lot of requests for crosses for Memorial Day. I would like to keep the natural look of the wood and will be using; Aromatic Red Cedar, walnut, cherry, hickory, red oak, maple, poplar, pine. I have made some crosses in the past and heavily coated them with lacquer but it did not seem to hold up that long in the weather. Any advice on a finish for these would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to make the cost to much for people with the economy the way it is but I would like to give them something nice that will hold up for a while. Thanks. Steve

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Stevie: In my opinion, General Finishes 450 Exterior is hard to beat. It dries perfectly clear, does not change the natural color of the wood.

Has good UV protection also. Comes in quarts and gallons. Not sure if it's in the BORG, but WoodCraft and Klingspor both have it.

Good luck, Pard.

:wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve, I have used Spar Varnish in the past. It gave so-so results.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
The first thing to keep in mind is that there is no finish that lasts forever when exposed continually to outdoor conditions. The more opaque the finish, the longer it will last. Us boaters wish that weren't so, but it is.

Some woods are better than others. Aromatic Cedar, for example, does not like oil based finishes. The oils in the wood can prevent the finish from hardening. Red oak, poplar, maple and pine are prone to quickly rot when left outside, particularly if they are in the ground.

As to finishes, stay away from any consumer brand poly "spar" varnish. Polyurethane rapidly deteriorates when exposed to the UV in sunlight. It will quickly yellow, split and crack and peel off the surface. Do not use a waterborne, lacquer or shellac. These finishes do not stand up to constant exposure to the elements. My recommendation is to use a true marine exterior varnish. You will have to go to a marine supply store. Look for brands like Interlux, Wolsey, Pettit and, best of all, Epifanes. These finishes are not inexpensive, but they are the best.

Another choice is Sikken Cetol. This is a longer lasting exterior finish.

None of these finishes will last more than a couple of years without maintenance. When they start to turn yellow, they should be sanded with 220 paper and couple of more coats applied.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I agree with the marine varnish also.

A second option is Cabot Australian Timber Oil. It is a combination of tung oil, linseed oil, and alkyd hardener. It looks great on white oak, but has to be re-applied in 6-12 months. What I like it that it requires minimal sanding before re-application of the product and recommends only one coat (because of the hardener). The disadvantage is that it would have to be reapplied more frequently than marine varnish.

I tried polyurethane once with terrible results. The poly cracked, moisture got in, and it couldn't get back out easily. The wood rotted quickly and harbored fungus growth.

Amy

Jeff

New User
Jeff
You might consider using cypress for your projects. The natural oil, cypressine, within the wood protects against rot, mildew, and insect damage. It's about $3/bf. for 4/4 and $3.10/bf. for 6/4.

Left unfinished the wood takes on a pewter grey like appearance over time. Other members have suggested Epifanes spar varnish. I've seen it used in a very diluted form as a durable exterior finish: 1 part BLO, 1 part naphtha (spirits), 1/2 part Epifanes. Here's a good video link to it:

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-46-desert-outdoor-finish/>

Epifanes is available from Jamestown Distributors.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/main.do

Good luck. :icon_cheers

Hunter Paint

New User
Andy
Hello Steve. I am the "newbie" of the group (just signed up yesterday), but will take a stab at helping you out.

As was eluded to above, nowhere is the adage "you get what you pay for" more true than when it comes to exterior finishes. Trying not to be too partial, Sikkens is an excellent exterior wood finish and although not the least expensive finish, it more than pays for itself in greatly reduced maintenance intervals and very easy maintenance if done properly. Another product showing promise is Fuhr Industrial's 260.

A few things to keep in mind when dealing with exterior finishes:

> as is true with most finishes, proper surface preparation plays as important a role as choosing the right finish.

> using a clear finish alone (ie no stain, etc.) is asking a lot of the finish itself, and although there are some great clear "spars", you will likely pay a lot for them. This is one of the many reasons Sikkens performs so well, because the majority of their finishes have colorfast pigments suspended in them.

> using a conventional stain in an exterior application is typically not a good idea – even if you use a high performance clear topcoat. The reason is that the majority of pigments used to color these stains do not hold up well to uv exposure. And although the topcoat will (or absolutely should) include UV inhibitors and may hold up very well, some uv will still make its way to the stain and begin fading it out.

> There are essentially two types of exterior finishes – film build and penetrating. All else being equal, film build provides the longest lasting and most durable finish. They also offer various sheen options. The drawbacks are they are more unforgiving when it comes to surface prep and application, multiple coats are required, and the material and total system costs more. Conversely, penetrating finishes typically costs less and are easier overall to apply. These are typically single-coat systems (basically give the wood all it will take, and no more). At the same time, they aren’t as durable, dry to a flat finish, and require more frequent maintenance intervals

> don’t use a film build finish where poor ventilation and/or excess moisture is present (a good example would be if any part of your cross comes into direct contact with the soil). Film build finishes are designed to breathe but only to an extent. When subjected to excess moisture, the film can’t breathe fast enough and moisture will accumulate under the finish and eventually delaminate if from the substrate. You are much better off going with a penetrating oil in this sort of application.

Of course, there is a little more to it than this, but I hope this helps answers your original question.

Good luck with your project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS