Advice on the Dewalt DW7461 TS Heavy Duty Sliding Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

browningcw

New User
Charlie
Hey Guys,
I need some advice. I have a Dewalt DW746 TS with the left side cast wing, 52" rails, extension table (right side), and an Exaktor EX26 sliding table. In order to save some room in the garage/shop I was thinking of replacing the Exaktor with the Dewalt sliding table.

When I read the reviews on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1) there were a number of complaints on the miter gauge, table lock, and setup.

I know a few of you guys have the sliding table and seem to like it. Should I spend the $400? :eusa_thin

I'm looking for a reliable way to cross-cut large panels (24-30"). I don't mind spending time to set the table up properly, but I don't want to have to set it up every time I use it and I want to make rectangles, not parallelograms :).

BTW, if I purchase the table, the extension wing and sliding table will shortly appear on the classifieds forum. ;-)

Thanks in advance for the insight!

browningcw

New User
Charlie
UPDATE: Advice on the Dewalt DW7461 TS Heavy Duty Sliding Table

I sent an e-mail to Dewalt customer service asking them about the table locking mechanism and the miter gauge play. Here's the response from Dale:

"The table locking mechanism has been fixed but the miter gauge still has some play."

Not the answer I was hoping for, but I think I'll take the plunge and plan on buying another miter gauge.

DavidF

New User
David
Re: UPDATE: Advice on the Dewalt DW7461 TS Heavy Duty Sliding Table

I sent an e-mail to Dewalt customer service asking them about the table locking mechanism and the miter gauge play. Here's the response from Dale:

"The table locking mechanism has been fixed but the miter gauge still has some play."

Not the answer I was hoping for, but I think I'll take the plunge and plan on buying another miter gauge.

Sorry to be so late coming into this one, but the posts add up quickly and I've been away! I really like the ST. The table lock is fine, but I don't use the mitre gauge for really accurate cross cuts. I built a cross cut box, but with only one slider on the left side. I clamp this into the mitre slot and tighten up the slot with the hand wheel and off you go. You have an accurate sliding box without the hassle of making two perfectly fitting runners. Well worth the money.

browningcw

New User
Charlie
Thanks for the reply David. It's always great to get advice from people who really use the equipment.

I have an Incra sled, so I will probably use the sled for precision cross cuts and miters.

Still waiting on the wife to 'warm-up' to the idea of ANOTHER $400 for the 'hobby'.

This just means I have to figure out what I can build her that's worth $400 (to her, that is).:)

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks for the reply David. It's always great to get advice from people who really use the equipment.

I have an Incra sled, so I will probably use the sled for precision cross cuts and miters.

Still waiting on the wife to 'warm-up' to the idea of ANOTHER $400 for the 'hobby'.

This just means I have to figure out what I can build her that's worth $400 (to her, that is).:)

Well if you are ever in my neck of the woods and want to test drive the ST first, then feel free to let me know.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

Sorry to be so late coming into this one, but the posts add up quickly and I've been away! I really like the ST. The table lock is fine, but I don't use the mitre gauge for really accurate cross cuts. I built a cross cut box, but with only one slider on the left side. I clamp this into the mitre slot and tighten up the slot with the hand wheel and off you go. You have an accurate sliding box without the hassle of making two perfectly fitting runners. Well worth the money.

David,

I have the same TS as you, but have not built a cross cut fixture to replace the miter. Could you post a photo so I can see what you did? I might want to do something similar.

Ray

browningcw

New User
Charlie

David,

I have the same TS as you, but have not built a cross cut fixture to replace the miter.

Ray

Ray,
Are you happy with the sliding table? Do you agree with the complaints about the miter gauge?

DavidF

New User
David

David,

I have the same TS as you, but have not built a cross cut fixture to replace the miter. Could you post a photo so I can see what you did? I might want to do something similar.

Ray

Sure, I'll do that over the W/E.

browningcw

New User
Charlie
Very nice David!

Thanks for posting the pictures. Even though I have an Incra miter sled, I may make one of these too.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Here you go, hope these help.

pics pulled

Sorry about the focus on this one!

David,

Thanx for the photos... that helps. I assume that the metal track on the underside of the sled locks into the slider the same way that the original miter gauge does...?

Ray

DavidF

New User
David
David,

Thanx for the photos... that helps. I assume that the metal track on the underside of the sled locks into the slider the same way that the original miter gauge does...?

Ray

Yes it does, making it a breeze to make because the fit isn't important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS