Advice on dovetail saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richgod

New User
Richard
I want to hand dovetails in some pieces I am making, ranging from a jewelry box (1/2" thick stock) to a hutch base (1 1/4" thick stock). I've never done this 'manually'. Does anybody have any tips on the process and/or suggestions as to what type of saw I should be looking for? I tried the backsaw from my Craftsman mitre box - WAY to coarse and hard to manage. The dovetails I made with it were very inaccurate and loose.

I need something 'economical yet functional', if you know what I mean.

Any tips greatly appreciated!
Richard

M

McRabbet

The Crown Tools 10" Gent's Saw has been very highly rated in many tools reviews. I agree with the ratings from personal experience and have found mine to be easy to use. I've had mine for about 4 years, but it certainly is a bargain at the price you'll find here. Check Amazon.com as well.

Rob

Richgod

New User
Richard
Thanks for the info., I had actually looked at this saw, but was a little unsure... I've always had saws with the traditional sawgrip and just wasn't sure how control would be with the traight/round handle. Did you find it hard to get used to?

M

McRabbet

Not at all, Richard. It fits ones hand very well and I've found that it starts a cut easily and stays true to the line as you cut. It has a thin kerf as well. For layout, there are several good articles on handcut dovetails in recent issues of Fine Woodworking. I subscribe to Fine Woodworking Magazine - skill building articles, tool reviews, project plans, books and can download articles. I recommend ths site to everyone, including magazine subscribers like myself.

Rob

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have the Crown gents saw and it works ok. If you are new to hand cut dovetails (I still am) I suggest practice, practice, practice. A lot of people sing praises for the japanese style pull saws. I personally like the western style saws. I am in the process of making my own saw, but if it doesn't work out I may buy one of the better hand saws currently available.

Wenzloff & Sons -- Saws
Lie-Nielsen Toolworks USA | Dovetail Saw

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am a fan of the Japanese pull style Dozuki saws. I feel that they start easier and have a much thinner kerf. But if you have only used a Western style saw there is a learning curve to pulling only :eusa_doh: DAMHIKT
Dave:)

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I have the Lee Valley version of the gents saw, but switched over to dozuki's several years ago.

Very happy with the dozuki. Lee Valley sells one for ~$30-ish and it gave me several (8 ?) years of faithful service until I pranged the blade one day. :roll:

-Mark

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I ordered the Crown a couple days ago so I will have to see if it holds up. I know that FWW had high marks for it. Now I just need a realy good bench,,lol

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I was very fortunate to attend Woodcraft's class "Hand Cut Dovetails".

The highlight was getting hands on play time with all the major kinds of saws.

Everything from a straight handled $10 saw up to a $110 Lie-Nielsen saw.

What amazed me most of all, each of us found saws we liked over others.

My friend was hooked on the Japanese style saw. I loved the Lie-Nielsen, but ended up feeling the cheap straight handled saw worked for me.

I highly recommend Frank Klauz "Hand Cut Dovetail" dvd. A very no-nonsense approach full of good techniques. Also his dvd on "Hand Tools" has a good setup/sharpening segment on dovetail saws.

My advice, get a saw, a sharp chisel, sharpen both and play. I have found technique and practice far outweigh the specific saw when starting out.

BTW, most cheap western (pull) saws come with a mystery tooth shape. You want to file them to rip with almost no set. A small triangle file cutting straight across the front of the tooth at 90 degrees does a basic job. If you want to add a bit of set, a tiny flat head screw driver, give a small twist and do every other tooth.

Good luck!
Jim

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening,
I cannot offer much in the way of advice on the saw to purchase, as I am also learning to cut dovetails by hand! I like to use the KISS principle as much as possible, so nothing complicated if I can do it that way. I have read many technical articles, reviews, how to's, watched a few videos, bought a few videos, asked a whole bunch of questions....yadda yadda yadda...Anyhow, one of the simplest, easiest and readable methods I have come across is at the link below. It is easy to understand and follow, but best of all, really easy to pick back up again...

Hand-Cut Dovetails After Fifty

Hope you find it of some use!
Best to all,

Tony ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS