Advice Needed on Drill Press Purchase - Shop Fox or Jet (or other?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
WW2000, Monty,

I haven't seen much info on the SF DP. Any links to reviews? I like the price a lot and believe the CFO is willing to approve the unbudgeted request now.

I would like to buy a lifetime DP for my hobbyist shop.

Still, after the problems I had with selecting a bandsaw I don't want to buy a DP and go through it again. I'm wondering what you are basing your decision on.

Chuck

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Chuck-

Good point. I'm basing my decision on price, my own comparison of the published specs of different drill presses, as well as the general reputation of Shop Fox and Grizzly products. I did go into Klingspor this weekend to look aver a Shop Fox drill press they had on the floor (not the M1039) and found the quality/fit/finish to be about the same as the Jet and the Delta. Grizzly owns Shop Fox and the Shop Fox M1039 is the same machine as the Grizzly G7948 (just painted white and with 2-year warranty). The way I look at it, for just a little more money than a 17" DP would cost me, I can get more hp, more reach, and a larger table. I do give up 4 speeds with the 20" DP but I don't think that will make much of a difference. In its 2006 catalog, Grizzly does advertise the G7948 DP as a "Popular Woodworking Editor's Choice" but I haven't located or read the review. Beyond these 20" DPs, there seems to be a pretty large price difference for material differences (i.e. variable speed and/or 6" of travel)....more than I was willing to spend.
I can send you the manual for the M1039 and you can download the manual for the Grizzly G7948 from Grizzly's website to compare them. I tried to post the M1039 manual here but it is too large to be posted in this thread (anyone have any other ideas besides emailing it?). If you PM me your email address, I will forward it to you.
I know my approach isn't that scientific or thorough (I need a new DP now) but it was the best I could do in the time I was willing to commit to it. That's why I started this thread asking for advice. I am still open to any advice people are willing to offer.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I need one more day to decide. I am most likely in.

Chuck, I don't believe the drill press and bandsaw are even near comparable. I remember all of the issues you had with bandsaws. I had them with my old Delta and repaired them all (should have bought a new one like you did though :-( )

My only concern would be play and trueness of the quill assembly. WW2K, what did you think of the quill/travel of the one you looked at Klingspor?

Monty

New User
Monty
Ya'll have some good questions about the drill press. All I am going by is limited info about the Grizzly, based on the specs. I have not been able to find formal reviews on the Grizzly model, but based on the specs it should be a really nice machine. Based on the horsepower, the #4 morse taper, and nice oversize table, I think it would be a good buy at this price. It is (IMHO) very comparable to Woodguy's General drill press. For about $1K (the General) you would get a machine with similar specs as the SF but a 3/4" chuck instead of 5/8" chuck on the SF. The quill travel is 4-3/4" IIRC - sometimes you need more, but there aren't many choices right now with more quill travel than this. Of course that won't always be the case... check out this video from the recent IWF where they showed a new Delta DP with 6" of quill travel! Of course, that will come at a steep price, but it may be worth it to you.

Anyway, I am expecting the Shop Fox to be the same as the Griz. I think it will probably suit my needs.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Travis-
the Shop Fox drill press I looked over at Klingspor was not the M1039 but a smaller, radial arm drill press. As I mentioned in a previous post, the fit and finish of the Shop Fox DP I looked over was comparable to other drill presses I've looked at (Jet, Delta). Like Monty, I am relying somewhat on the reputation of Grizzly in making my decision to purchase the Shop Fox. If you PM me your email addrsss, I can email the Shop Fox M1039 manual to you....or you can download the Grizzly G7948 manual from Grizzly's website since it is the same machine.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I looked at a few DPs at Sears, Lowes...Craftsman, Delta and the fit/finish were simply not good. The largest one at Sears had noticeable play in the quill, which got worse as the quill was lowered.

I was unable to look at others. I would be disappointed if I spent 500 bucks and had a larger DP that could not make repeatable holes due to play.

Is this problem apparent in the larger Deltas, Shopfox?

Chuck

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I have a good drill press or I would jump on this. I do need a new chuck for it with a morse #2 so if anyone comes across one let me know. Also if we plan on upgrading any other tools and are doing a group purchase let me know. Be blessed friend

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I'm still waiting to hear back from Greg Leneave on an updated quote but where are we on this group purchase? I want one, does anyone else?

Edit 9-12-06 9:27am: I talked to Greg Leneave this morning. He can order the DPs for $437.50 each if we purchase 3 or more but will only ship them to one location. I would be willing to have them shipped to my house in Raleigh, store them for a short time and let everyone pick them up here (I have a home office so I am here most of the day) but I'm not sure that makes much sense since Klingspor has stores in Charlotte, Hickory, Raleigh and Winston-Salem and (I presume) they would be willing to transfer the DPs to their retail stores for no additional charge so everyone could pick them up at the store closest to them. Factoring in that the savings over Klingspor is only $8 per DP and that Klingspor offers us (as a group) a 10% discount on most items makes me strongly prefer Klingspor.

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
I'm willing to go for it, but I'm in no hurry -- I don't want to influence someone else's decision because I really don't have any good first-hand information to go by on this machine. I think it will be fine, but I can't find any owners that I can ask about it.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Shop Fox M1039 at Woodcraft September Sale

Hey guys, good news for anyone interested in one of these drill presses. I was in the Raleigh Woodcraft the other day and they are getting ready for a big sale at the end of the month. (The sale is at the Raleigh store only.) They are bringing in a bunch of the Shop Fox M1039 20” drill presses. They are going to be priced at $420.00 plus tax. I think this is a great price and I will be buying mine there. If you've been thinking about getting one of these drill presses, I can tell you that this is the best price I have been able to find.

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Shop Fox M1039 at Woodcraft September Sale

Hey, that's a great price - count me in! :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Aww man! am I gonna have to haul a drill press to Hickory for this years Extravaganza and NCww'er gathering :lol: :lol: :lol:

If needed, it would be my honor :icon_thum

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
LOL!!! Thanks for the offer... at least this thing should fit without having to modify your truck!! :lol:

01_IMG_0662.jpg

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Since the topic of this thread changed from "advice needed" to a good deal found, I've started another thread on this drill press in the "Hot Deals" forum. I'm anxiously awating the start of this sale so I can get mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS