Adjustments for jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have a Delta 6" jointer about 41 inches long. I think it is out of line. Is it possible to get it out of line, right to left, by pressing too hard when preparing a large 6" board with the board lying flat on the surface? I am making my drawers now and when I run the edge through it doesn't cut straight. I have the manual but it doesn't help much. The arm that comes from under the right side of the plate should be turned to make the adjustment, it has a washer keeping it tight. I can't make it adjust. Any thoughts on the subject. :crybaby2:
If I draw a line across a board and run it across the jointer, after several passes it has taken more off the beginning side. I can flip the board over and go several passes and it becomes level again.

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Lorraine,

It sounds as though the infeed and outfeed tables are not planar. The outfeed mabe going "downhill" with respect to the infeed. The outfeed being too lhigh will produce a similar effect, Then the board rides up on the outfeed table after passing the knives, then as you reach the centre of the board the rear end starts to come off the knives producing the taper but you should notice that the board is catching the outfeed after passing the cutter head instead of sitting on it. You will not notice that the outfeed slopes down slightly unless you put a good straight edge across the two tables. Best way always is to check with a straight edge for best results. If you can't move the either one of the tables then one of the gib screws may have been locked down to avoid accidental movement.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Lorraine, which model Delta jointer? I have a 6" Delta and I suspect the adjustment technique is the same.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I was just looking at mine. It is the outfeed side (LEFT) that has to be adjusted level with the cutter head. Underneath the outfeed table is a knob to do the adjustment and in back there is a locking screw with a tab that has to be loosened before you can make the adjustment and then tightened afterwards.

On the right side (infeed) the adjustment is strictly for depth of cut. The only that would be adjusted there is depth of cut indicater. If that arms doesn't move the infeed table then you can't adjust the depth of cut which is a different matter all together

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
There is a depth cut indication on the infeed side and a black handle under the right side of the table. It has a knob on the front that has to be loosened to make the adjustment. I loosen it but I can't get it to change. That is a threaded washer on the black handle, it is located close to the body of the machine and can be loosened but it still doesn't change the depth of the cut.
When I place a straight across the outfeed is see a slight, very slight difference on the outer edge when the table comes in contact with the back wall of the jointer and the same slight difference is seen on the infeed side. I had a friend, my woodworker from Littleton, he looked at it just after I got it because it was tapering and he adjusted it. I just can't seem to do the adjustment myself. He is out of town and I want to be able to do it myself. I think I may have caused the change when I was jointing several 6" walnut boards lying them flat and maybe I put too much pressure on the table surface. Let s assume I need to make the infeed adjustment. What do I do.:roll:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Now on the infeed (depth of Cut) adjustment, there is a one armed handle that is on a screw that goes through metal assembly that has diagonal slot. That is the locking screw for the infeed/depth of cut adjustment.

Just in case I totally missed the point of your post and I'm coming across in a bad way. I apologize. Finally someone asked a question that I know something about and I may have gone over board.:oops:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
lwhughes149 said:
There is a depth cut indication on the infeed side and a black handle under the right side of the table. It has a knob on the front that has to be loosened to make the adjustment. I loosen it but I can't get it to change. That is a threaded washer on the black handle, it is located close to the body of the machine and can be loosened but it still doesn't change the depth of the cut.
When I place a straight across the outfeed is see a slight, very slight difference on the outer edge when the table comes in contact with the back wall of the jointer and the same slight difference is seen on the infeed side. I had a friend, my woodworker from Littleton, he looked at it just after I got it because it was tapering and he adjusted it. I just can't seem to do the adjustment myself. He is out of town and I want to be able to do it myself. I think I may have caused the change when I was jointing several 6" walnut boards lying them flat and maybe I put too much pressure on the table surface. Let s assume I need to make the infeed adjustment. What do I do.:roll:
First, the basic problem is the outfeed side. That causes the cut to be uneven. Your second problem is the depth of cut adjustment. If you can tell me the model number of jointer, I can pull up a picture of you jointer and be more specific.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
lwhughes149 said:
I have a 6" Deluxe Jointer Model JT360

http___www.dewaltservicenet.jpg

So what is the washer you are talking about?

This is a link to the instruction manual I found. It seems to cover the adjustments reasonably

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
The washer is on the black knob on the lower right side. Is your set on 1/16 as I see in the pic. Mine is on the second from 0. I can't seem to figure out how to move it. I have the manual, it says to loosen table lockhandle and lower handle, black handle, up or down until table is at the desired position. then to tighten table lockhandle. I was turning the black handle, maybe my problem was that it goes up or down. Is the 1/16 a good place to have it set.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I just made the adjustment and it looks good. The test is in the puddin when I run something through. It was off on the infeed. There is a nut up next to the unit that tightens the black handle on the right rear, I loosened it loosened the knob on the front and lifted the black knob and it was a done deal. I tightened everything back in place and put the square to it. Thanks for the help. Another happy woodworker woman. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS