adirondack chair plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleng

New User
allen
hey guys,i was thinking about making some chairs forthe deck,i looked onl;ine and there are a lot of different one offered .just wondering if anyone had any recomendations ,cause i wont ever be able to make them without em. i just realy dont want to go out and buy them,it would be just as relaxing im sure,but not as satisfying.thanks for looking and any advice will be greatly appreciated

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I bought a set of templates from Rockler's site, I think. They worked out well. Just over-cut a bit on the band saw and then trim them out on the old router.

As you already know, there are multiple styles out there. If you look in the galleries you'll probably see something you like.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Allen, do a search on the word adirondack .You will see a lot of info. The SEARCH button is in the brown bar up top.

jeeves

New User
dwight
Allen. I have built hunderds of adirondack chair over the years. I have used many different plans. The last few years I have used NORMS plans. It is a great chair. They have a good look to them. Dwight

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have built and like Norm's plans, but his plans are the only ones I have built. I have probably built 20 or more chairs and would give the plans a 8 out of 10 score.

jeeves

New User
dwight
I have built many ad. chairs I like cyrpess. It paints nice. light weigh, easy to work with, and fair price. PT lumber cracks and can not be painted for months Dwight

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I built some last year and I just googled "adirondack chair plans". I ended up with some rough plans and more or less went from there and designed them myself. Although, the ones I made aren't very "curvy" like the traditional ones. I'll probably design my next set myself, but I'm going to ad more curves. Here are the two that I made. This is just normal pine with stain and 3 coats of poly. So far they've held up, but next time I'm going to use treated pine or something else that will stand up to the weather.
lassillas_002.jpg

I also made this bench in the middle for a lady. This is made out of treated pine with stain and 3 coats of poly.

bench001.jpg

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Trent,

Very nice chairs. If you're looking for a wood that will stand up to the weather for the next version of the chair, you might consider cypress. It's pretty much everything resistant

Since this was your first post, I'd like to encourage you to post a note introducing yourself in the Who We Are forum. Tell us a bit about yourself and the kinds of woodworking you like to do. By-the-by, we do love photos here. You're off to a terrific start with photos in your first post. How about some more projects and a few of your shop?

Welcome to North Carolina Woodworker (I bet you'll love it here.)

Ray

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Trent,

Very nice chairs. If you're looking for a wood that will stand up to the weather for the next version of the chair, you might consider cypress. It's pretty much everything resistant

Since this was your first post, I'd like to encourage you to post a note introducing yourself in the Who We Are forum. Tell us a bit about yourself and the kinds of woodworking you like to do. By-the-by, we do love photos here. You're off to a terrific start with photos in your first post. How about some more projects and a few of your shop?

Welcome to North Carolina Woodworker (I bet you'll love it here.)

Ray

Hello Ray,

Thanks for the kind words and the tip on using cypress. I'll definitely give it a go. Sorry for not introducing myself. Just did it here though. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=126330#post126330

Trent

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Cypress is the way to go, in my opinion. Easy to work, finish, and will hold up well.

Ivey can fix you up if you can take it right off the mill. I've been buying from him for nearly a year and he has good stuff. Also, the "green" lumber will dry down to 15% in a month to 6 weeks usually. And that will work for outdoor stuff.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I have built at least 8 according to Norm's plans, which are in an old issue of American Woodworker. I have also built about 4 other ways. As Travis said Norm's plans are good. The one thing I would change is running a board lengthwise and perpendicular to each arm and then screwing the arms to each board from underneath. In that wat there are no screw heads exposed on the upper sides of the arms.

I have made them from cedar, Pine and something else I can not remember. Cypress is a very good choice. I am about to rebuilt a park bench using Cypress.

If your in the Raleigh area you are welcome to borrow the issue I mentioned.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS