AclorAir 360 deg air purifier

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Looking for ways to reduce dust in my workshop - already have a dust collector for the power tools. I'm thinking about this ceiling mounted air ventilation system:

It looks like a good system expecially since it covers 360 degrees of area. A bit noisy form the videos. Price is in line with other units.

Anyone have one of these or have comments/suggestions? Shop is about 250 aq ft
Thanks!

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Personally, I'd spend a little more and build yourself a Pentz air cleaner, and build a rolling base for it. I used some scrap mdf with 2" locking casters.

Wynn filter (the ext version), 8" vortex fan, little weather stripping, a 90 degree elbow, and timer.

I have 1 and really like it. I spent a little more on the fan (~$200?), but it comes with a 10 year warranty.
Works very well, imo. Thinking of adding a 2nd one. Like you, I also have a DC for power tools, but the air cleaner option is really beneficial, too.

Obviously, like you mentioned, a little noisy, but I'm already using hearing protections.

Depending on how long I am in the shop, I typically let it run for another 1-2 hours after I am done working.
I have a 3 car garage, which has no walls to separate the "bays", but work in a 1 car spot (13' x 20') with a ceiling to floor heavy duty vinyl curtain on rollers (10' - 11' ceiling).

Give the site a look over and see what you think.

Questions, just ask.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Thanks for the prompt reply - - that desighn certianly looks good. I found this 8" vortex fan:

Are the specs on this similar to what you have?

The pictures in the link you suggested are not showing up - - can you send a few pics of your unit when you think about it?
Thanks!!

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
That's the same fan I have, but that's too much $$. I see it hit ~$185, so be patient, if you can.

Working in the shop, at the moment, but give me a few mins to snap pics, etc.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Overall height, with the base, 2" casters, and 90 elbow, is 59".

My other simple and quick air filter\cleaner, holding a MERV 8 & 11 FILER, also runs while I'm in the shop. When I'm done, I let both continue to run on a timer, for 1-2 hours.

Garage doesn't smell of wood and the air "feels" very clean. I don't have a meter to test the air, but I feel that the cleaners do wonders.

I want to be even safer, so I'm planning on building a 2nd Pentz cleaner, but that might be overkill. Who knows.. Consider it a peace of mind thing?

Regardless, I still wear my P100 mask while I'm in the garage, working.

I'll post links to the filter, if you need that information, later.

Attachments

• PXL_20240121_190112673.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20240121_190112673.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20240121_190132721.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240121_190132721.PORTRAIT.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20240121_190900765~2.jpg
    PXL_20240121_190900765~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Wynn filter: 9L300NANOEXT
$223 + shipping.

Might be a little pricey, to some, but I've had great experience with it.
I bought the filter Jan, 2022, and cleaned it out a few months ago. My 1st time cleaning it. It caught a lot of fine dust, which is obviously great!
If I were in the shop more frequently, I would have probably cleaned it out a little sooner.

I took the filter outside, laid it on its side and on a piece of cardboard, so I wouldn't cause any damage to the filter or filter cage, then took my leaf blower and put it on very low. I blew the dust from the inside of the filter, not outside inward. Since the filter is open at both the top and bottom, the dust flew right out of that baby.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Looking for ways to reduce dust in my workshop - already have a dust collector for the power tools. I'm thinking about this ceiling mounted air ventilation system:

It looks like a good system expecially since it covers 360 degrees of area. A bit noisy form the videos. Price is in line with other units.

Anyone have one of these or have comments/suggestions? Shop is about 250 aq ft
Thanks!
I like the concept, but I would be concerned about the air circulation. Seems like by exhausting down, it would blow dust to areas that might not get pulled through the filter? I just wonder if it would be better exhausting up, or maybe through some ductwork to get it further away?
I initially bought a Wen and quickly returned it after turning it on to try it. The fan was out of balance and shook the whole unit. Ended up making my own similar to the one you are looking at only turned on its side (Exhaust to the side). I definitely pulled dust through the filters, but I still end up with a light coat of dust on everything.

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpeg
    IMG_0445.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
My Bill Pentz air filter build.

You can swivel the 90 degree elbow however you like.
I don't know what your dusty shop looks like, but this thing works wonders. Also, I don't believe it's best to bring the fine dust up past your face, but that's just my opinion.

Imo, my shop is very clean. The only dust I have is usually some larger pieces that the table saw dust hood doesn't pick up. This dust won't be a problem, imo, since it tends to be heavier/larger particles and fall right to the floor or on the table saw top.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
My Bill Pentz air filter build.

You can swivel the 90 degree elbow however you like.
I don't know what your dusty shop looks like, but this thing works wonders. Also, I don't believe it's best to bring the fine dust up past your face, but that's just my opinion.

Imo, my shop is very clean. The only dust I have is usually some larger pieces that the table saw dust hood doesn't pick up. This dust won't be a problem, imo, since it tends to be heavier/larger particles and fall right to the floor or on the table saw top.
There are times when I have very challenging situations for dust control. For example the other day I cut 88 mortises and 88 tenons with my router. Even with a hose on the router and one on the fixture, it’s difficult to catch everything…and clean the air.

Attachments

• IMG_4260.jpeg
    IMG_4260.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4261.jpeg
    IMG_4261.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Looking at the original post, those filters are only MERV 11 on the AlorAir 360 Degree Intake Air Filtration System. The Wynn is MERV 15, if that matters.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Thanks for the replies and helpful info Rory and Winsoncb! Nice builds!
@Rory - I like the design on the bottom of your filyer - the clamps to =keep it in place - easy on/off as needed- - CLEVER! I'm sold on this design after all I have read - I really like that it is portable. Not inexpensive but not too much more that the good quality commerical filters. I'll order the stuff and report back - I do gve a particulate/air qualit meter so post build I'll send some info.
Thanks!!
Wayne

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Yeah . It's not the prettiest of designs, but it serves its purpose.. easy on and off.. and portable. Stick it next to a tool, if you prefer.

Forgot to mention, the 8" elbow I bought was around $7-9 at the home store... Great addition, imo

To save yourself a few bucks, you could get a cheaper fan, one around $80-90, but personally... I want quality, so I'm willing to pay a little more.

Regardless, enjoy the build and please post results when you can.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors