accurate level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I checked the accuracy of my stock of carpenters levels. Only one of four is pretty good. The others will now be downgraded to "straightedge". Only two are good enough for that!

Now I am in the market for new levels. My next project for them will be hanging kitchen cabinets. Can you recommend the most useful sizes for this task? I'm thinking 2' and 4'???

The few levels I have seen at the big boxes claim to be accurate to .010. But their bubbles are small and the space between the lines is pretty wide. How can you get a reading when you have to guess if the bubble is centered?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
2' 4' and 6' would be my choices. as far as brands go my go to levels are starrett and stabila? [spelling?]:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
2' 4' and 6' would be my choices. as far as brands go my go to levels are starrett and stabila? [spelling?]:)

+1, although I don't use a 2" level very often. I start at 6", and go up to 15' (log cabin level).

Stabila is one of the best "construction" levels. You can find them at J&W Tools, Payne's Tools, etc.

Starrett is the leading machinist grade of level.

BSHuff

New User
Brian
I like a torpedo, 2, 4 and 6. Torpedo is in the tool belt The 2 is good for stairs & setting door frames(the top), the 4 is for general use, the 6 for the door frame sides and walls I have Stanley and stabila. Stabila has a kit that comes with a torpedo a 2 and an 6 I think that is a good deal. For hanging cabinets however I love my laser...

Festool makes levels too :)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a couple Stanleys, a Johnson and a couple Starretts. Starrett is too accurate for wood work. The Stanleys work fine and the Johnson is my go to for around the house.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stabila - great accurate and strong level. Worth the $ for German quality - If I could only had one it would be 32"

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
+1 for Stabila. I have the 6' and use it a lot on hanging doors and built-ins (setting up for the coping to the walls).

bobby g

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Thanks for your thoughts guys. There seem to be a lot of nods toward the Stabila. I'll check them out.

Perry Gardner

New User
Perry
If you want the most accurate level use a water level. You can make one yourself. Several places on line to learn about them.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you raise one side of a board 1/64 inch and the bubble goes all the way to the other side, yeah.

FlyingRon

Ron
Water levels can have errors as well, but they are arguably more accurate over a larger distance than trying to use even the best bubble level. Actually, I like my spinning laser reference. At least any errors are consistent all the way around.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I looked at every level available in the Greensboro area: Stabila, Johnson, Stanley, Bostich, Craftsman,Empire, Meyer and some cheapo's. The only one that has a bubble that actually touches the lines on both sides is Meyer Brothers. Unfortunately it is a wooden masons level , and you can't read it from the top, only from straight on. According to their web, they only make mason's levels. Of the ones I tried, I will probably go with the Empire Blue. Stanley's Fat Max looked pretty close also. It looks like the industry switch, from individual curved glass vials to acrylic, has made my image of the perfect level obsolete.

Somebody asked how I tested my levels. I bridged the gap between two tables so that the level was supported only on the ends. Then I shimmed one end until it read level. Then I swiveled it end for end to check for the same reading.

I do have a water level that I used building a deck. It's just 20' of clear vinyl 3/8 hose with colored water and two golf tee stoppers. I also have a cheap, hang on the wall B&D laser level. I have no idea how accurate the level function is. I think it will be interesting to check it against the water level.

All this discussion has made me realize that I could be exercising my tendency to totally over-think a problem. I do thank all of you for talking me through this question. I hope I'll meet some of you at the picnic!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
You do realize that the size of the bubble will change with atmospheric conditions right? Temperature atmospheric pressure humidity all play a part [just like most everything else on the planet]. If you find one that is touching the lines in the store chances are it will have a bigger or smaller bubble in a couple hours depending on these factors. It is up to the user to center the bubble. If you need perfect accuracy check out Top-con or other companies that make transit type levels used for building sky scrapers and bridges. Be prepared.... you will pay for this type of accuracy.:)

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Fred, I knew I was missing some common sense point! Every level manufacturer can't be wrong with their design........ There is level and then there is close enough!! Thanks for the dope slap!!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
:rotflm: didn't mean to slap ya....... Sometimes things just don't register right away. At least they don't for me....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS