Accessory cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
After getting the ClearVue installed, I've enjoyed working with some of my wood. Here's a pic of an accessory cabinet I just completed. It is, of course, nothing fancy and shows no real craftsmanship, but the fact that I built it myself pleases me.

DCP_00551.JPG

The carcass is plywood, I forget where I got it, but you can be assured it wasn't flat, had voids, warped within five minutes of getting in the shop, and wasn't any known standard thickness.

The drawers are made from 3/4" gum that Jeff... cut for me last year. That stuff sure warped and twisted and got nasty as it dried, but I was able to mill it to 1/2". It's tough stuff, and I tried my hand at handcut doves, but the gum doesn't work well, so I gave up and decided to build a box joint jig and box joint the thing. That worked well.

DCP_00561.JPG

The drawer faces are poplar, Zinser primed and two coats of some strange color paint I found way, way back in a dusty, lower cabinet.

These were the first drawers I had made in a year or so, and when I cut the grooves for the hardboard, I forgot about needing mirror copies, so half the grooves were cut on the wrong side. Note to self: mark inside of drawers next time.

I also made the box joints so tight that I almost blistered my palm tightening those big Besseys, and when they finally got right they literally snapped. Not broken-snapped, just a large pop.

The slides were scavenged from a closeout sale at Lowes sometime last spring. They're only 20" slides on 24" drawers, but what the heck. The pulls were a closeout bargain I scored yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised at how they dressed up the thrown-together mess.

Other than paint runs on the side of the cabinet (from hurrying, when I have no reason to hurry :eusa_doh: )and the drawer screwup, everything went as planned. A fluke, I know, but it shows that there is hope. There's always hope, unless you want change. Wait, I won't go there.

Now y'all don't need to tell me how wonderful and beautiful it is, because I already know it ain't. It's just shop furniture and technique building and skill improving type stuff. Save the congrats for someone who shows you true craftsmanship. And that ain't me.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
After getting the ClearVue installed, I've enjoyed working with some of my wood. Here's a pic of an accessory cabinet I just completed. It is, of course, nothing fancy and shows no real craftsmanship, but the fact that I built it myself pleases me.

Nothing fancy? I might be mistaken, but I think those might be platinum drawer handles! 8-O :rotflm:

I think it looks great Jim, especially since it matches your TS(?). :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Also, making things out of scrap that come out so well is a feat in its self. Great job and congrats! :icon_thum

Trent

Steve W

New User
Steve
I love when I can make something useful out of stuff laying around.

This is definitely one of the nicer examples of recycling. :icon_thum

:kermit: Steve

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Jim, you're right, it's horrible. Can you repaint it in JET colors and drop it by this weekend? :) But seriously, you're doing yourself - and fellow bunglers world wide - a great disservice. Let me rewrite your post:

After getting the ClearVue installed, I've enjoyed working with some of my wood. Here's a pic of an accessory cabinet I just completed. Naturally, I made sure the color matched the table saw, what's the point of getting Powermatic gold if you're not going to flaunt it?

DCP_00551.JPG

The carcass is plywood, and as with most plywood, it wasn't flat, had voids, and warped within five minutes of getting in the shop, and wasn't any known standard thickness. Fortunately, with some careful cutting and skillful craftsmanship, I was able to salvage it.

The drawers are made from 3/4" gum that Jeff... cut for me last year. This tough wood makes for great drawers, although milling is a challenge. After dressing it to a consistent 1/2", I cut the box joints. Dovetails are the obvious choice, but I have used that joint so often it doesn't pose a challenge anymore, not even when cut by hand. Plus this gave me a good excuse to build another jig. The jig was spot on, as you can see the box joints fit nice and tight, there is certainly no slop in this drawer! I'm glad I invested in some quality Bessey cabinet clamps, they're great for precision joints like these.

DCP_00561.JPG

The drawer faces are poplar, Zinser primed and two coats of PM Gold that I had carefully preserved away from sunlight in another cabinet. I added two beads to the drawer fronts, to add that little touch of class. It may be shop furniture, but it's MY shop!

The slides I bought during a closeout sale at Lowe's last spring. Here's a tip: the slide length doesn't have to match the drawers exactly, you never want to pull the drawer out too far anyway. Here I used 20" slides on 24" drawers. The pulls were a closeout bargain I scored yesterday. When I saw these pulls, I knew immediately they'd be perfect to dress up this utility cabinet.

Other than some minor issues with the paint and aligning the grooves for the drawer bottoms, this project went really well, and I think it shows in the result. I'd be happy to offer my advice to anyone else looking at building some cabinets.

Now, that wasn't too hard, was it?

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Well... <taking notes>.... Yes, Bas, I do like your version. Are you sure you haven't some experience speech-writing for political candidates? You sure put some silk purse colored lipstick on that sow's ear (purposely mixing my aphorisms here).

I guess you're saying that I should have said what I really meant the first time? Nah, I did say what I really meant. But if I were submitting to a magazine instead of to my buddies here, I would obviously have chosen your prose.

And you're right about the PM Gold. If you've got it, flaunt it.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Jim, I know you meant exactly what you wrote. For some reason, woodworkers are generally humble people, quick to point out the flaws in their own work and modest in stating their accomplishments. Been there, done that. But, that's one fine looking cabinet! There is some slight self-interest here. I'm almost done with a small cabinet for under my drill press - plywood, box joint drawers, scrap pine for the drawer fronts....sound familiar? But it doesn't _quite_ look as good as yours :) It's the gold PM paint.....hard to compete with that. So, I'm just elevating your cabinet to improve the stature of mine :rolf:

As far as putting a spin on things - I'm no expert yet! If I can get someone to happily exchange a Festool sander for a sander from HF, then I'll go into politics :)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Now y'all don't need to tell me how wonderful and beautiful it is, because I already know it ain't. It's just shop furniture and technique building and skill improving type stuff. Save the congrats for someone who shows you true craftsmanship. And that ain't me.

And I thought it was the first entry for next year's calendar :eusa_doh:
Well, it's on the internet now (you know, the thing Al Gore invented) so anyone can comment.

It's a handcrafted cabinet that is well suited for its purpose in a multiplicity of ways. :icon_sunn

Respectfully rendered,
Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great job and perfectly executed. Right down the Powermatic gold paint!!:wsmile:

Those drawers would be the perfect place to hide your new stash:tool:from the LOYL!!!!:rotflm:

Personally, I think they look great and fit in perfectly with the motif.

Thanks for sharing the idea!

Wayne

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bas - nice rewrite!

Jim, nice cabinet! I too really enjoy making things out of my scrap pile.

The only addition that the cabinet needs, IMHO, are some black stripes around the bottom to match the tablesaw!

Scott

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Jim, I would be happy to let you build some "messy" cabinets for my shop ANYTIME! Nice job.:notworthy:

Bas, I have some swamp land to sell, a used car to ditch, and I need my resume updated....got any free time on your hands????:rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas, I have some swamp land to sell, a used car to ditch, and I need my resume updated....got any free time on your hands????

Swamp land: Think pre-irrigated, great feature given the extend drought!
Used car - no problem. Why would the ditch be an issue, it's called "private parking"!
Updating your resume - sorry Randy, even _I_ am not that good. :rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS