Above ground pool deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Almost finished my pool deck just need to build a gate for the top deck.

PICT0398.jpg

PICT0399.jpg

PICT0400.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks great! Be sure & get you a piece of Hardi Board or cement board to put under the grill to avoid a fire hazard from grease or a gas leak. Some cities don't even allow gas grills on a wood deck. This addition should make the pool a lot more enjoyable, though. I can't wait 'til it gets warm enough here.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
My brother is making me a stainless steel pan to go under the grease trap to catch the grease.

my daughter went in it tonight, she was outside goofing off picked her up and threw her in.
she said the water felt good.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
LOML is a bit of a China Doll. She wants the water at 86 or hotter to get in! Where's the fun in that, I say? Ya get in the water to cool off, right? Go for it.

sapwood

New User
Roger
That's a great entertainment area for the pool. Great accessibility and nice place for the grill. :icon_thum

Of course, in the Raleigh-Durham area you are now required to enclose all pools with a fence and self-latching gate. Not sure if that applies to above ground pools though :dontknow:

Enjoy!
Roger

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I just got done putting a self latching gate on the top deck.

I want to enclose the pool also, just in case some little kids move in the area.

Most of the bigger deck is in shade most of the day and the upper deck is in the sun most of the day.

There is a big shade tree behind the grill that covers a lot of the bigger deck

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not only a law, but a good idea. Unfortunately it doesn't always work. A few weeks ago in CLT, a family got to missing their 3 year old while visiting relatives only to learn the child had wandered into a neighbor's yard & unlatched the gate to the pool. The child did not survive the water. Children that age can and should be taught to swim. Mine were. Don't mean to put a wet blanket on your post, but I'm trying to avoid another tragedy.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
That is a big worry for me. A fence around the pool then one around the yard is on the list in the future. Our last pool we didn't even have a gate on it or a fence in yard

We had that pool for 6 years till we moved 2 doors down.

But for some reason i worry about it with this pool.

neighborhood hasn't changed in a few years my kids are the youngest around here at 12 and 15.

sapwood

New User
Roger
John,
If you choose to fence the yard a separate fence for the pool isn't necessary. Of course, that's your choice and you may have reasons for wanting to do both.

Below are the regs for Durham County/City passed last year . . . sort of a sampler. The safety concerns are valid, but I confess to not liking the "opaque" screen part. I like to see the yard from the pool.

Supplementary Requirements 7.41 Swimming Pools
When allowed, swimming pools shall be subject to the following additional requirements:

1. Community pools, private club pools, or outdoor pools in multifamily complexes shall locate the pool and decking at least 100 feet inside the property lines adjacent to a single family residential zone or use, and at least 50 feet from any property line adjacent to a nonresidential zone or use.
2. City Jurisdiction: Private swimming pools as well as the decking and equipment associated with the pool on single family, duplex, and triplex lots shall not be located in the front or side yards and not be closer than 5 feet to the rear property line. The pool shall be completely enclosed by an opaque fence at least 6 feet in height if any portion of the pool or pool decking is within 20 feet of a property line. Pools not within 20 feet of the property line shall be enclosed with an opaque fence that is at least 4 feet in height. The exterior walls of the residence or buildings may be incorporated as a portion of the fence to create a fully enclosed area around the pool. All fence openings into the pool area shall be equipped with self-closing and self-latching gates. These regulations shall apply to in-ground and above ground swimming pools which have a water depth over 24 inches or have a surface area of at least 100 square feet.

County Jurisdiction: Private swimming pools as well as the decking and equipment associated with the pool on single family lots shall not be located in the front or side yards and not be closer than 5 feet to the rear property line. The pool shall be completely enclosed by an opaque fence at least 6 feet in height if any portion of the pool or pool decking is within 20 feet of a property line. Pools not within 20 feet of the property line shall be enclosed with an opaque fence that is at least 4 feet in height. The exterior walls of the residence or buildings may be incorporated as a portion of the fence to create a fully enclosed area around the pool. All fence openings into the pool area shall be equipped with self-closing and self-latching gates. These regulations shall apply to in-ground and above ground swimming pools which have a water depth over 24 inches or have a surface area of at least 100 square feet.
3. All pools shall be screened from view from the street and adjacent residential property.
4. Security measures shall be installed to prevent access to the pool when it is not intended to be used.
5. When the pool is adjacent to off-site residences, the playing of music on a public address system is prohibited. Informational announcements are permitted. This requirement may be waived if a permit has been issued for a special event.

BTW, I really like the siting of your pool and deck. It's soooo inviting :mrgreen:

Roger

Glennbear

Glenn
John,
If you choose to fence the yard a separate fence for the pool isn't necessary. Of course, that's your choice and you may have reasons for wanting to do both.

Below are the regs for Durham County/City passed last year . . . sort of a sampler. The safety concerns are valid, but I confess to not liking the "opaque" screen part. I like to see the yard from the pool.

Supplementary Requirements 7.41 Swimming Pools
When allowed, swimming pools shall be subject to the following additional requirements:

1. Community pools, private club pools, or outdoor pools in multifamily complexes shall locate the pool and decking at least 100 feet inside the property lines adjacent to a single family residential zone or use, and at least 50 feet from any property line adjacent to a nonresidential zone or use.
2. City Jurisdiction: Private swimming pools as well as the decking and equipment associated with the pool on single family, duplex, and triplex lots shall not be located in the front or side yards and not be closer than 5 feet to the rear property line. The pool shall be completely enclosed by an opaque fence at least 6 feet in height if any portion of the pool or pool decking is within 20 feet of a property line. Pools not within 20 feet of the property line shall be enclosed with an opaque fence that is at least 4 feet in height. The exterior walls of the residence or buildings may be incorporated as a portion of the fence to create a fully enclosed area around the pool. All fence openings into the pool area shall be equipped with self-closing and self-latching gates. These regulations shall apply to in-ground and above ground swimming pools which have a water depth over 24 inches or have a surface area of at least 100 square feet.

County Jurisdiction: Private swimming pools as well as the decking and equipment associated with the pool on single family lots shall not be located in the front or side yards and not be closer than 5 feet to the rear property line. The pool shall be completely enclosed by an opaque fence at least 6 feet in height if any portion of the pool or pool decking is within 20 feet of a property line. Pools not within 20 feet of the property line shall be enclosed with an opaque fence that is at least 4 feet in height. The exterior walls of the residence or buildings may be incorporated as a portion of the fence to create a fully enclosed area around the pool. All fence openings into the pool area shall be equipped with self-closing and self-latching gates. These regulations shall apply to in-ground and above ground swimming pools which have a water depth over 24 inches or have a surface area of at least 100 square feet.
3. All pools shall be screened from view from the street and adjacent residential property.
4. Security measures shall be installed to prevent access to the pool when it is not intended to be used.
5. When the pool is adjacent to off-site residences, the playing of music on a public address system is prohibited. Informational announcements are permitted. This requirement may be waived if a permit has been issued for a special event.

BTW, I really like the siting of your pool and deck. It's soooo inviting :mrgreen:

Roger

I agree with you Roger, before I retired I spent some years in NJ as a Certified Pool Operator and IMHO the more visible you can make a pool surface the more likely that adult eyes can spot "little people" in trouble. The h--l with the aesthetics which is what I think they are trying to address here. Back in NJ there was a controversy at a condo complex when Orthodox Jewish residents wanted to screen the pool for religious reasons, I think the idea was killed. :wsmile:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The opaque screening idea isn't half bad if ya like t' go skinnydippin'. It helps avoid wrecks. :gar-La; My question is, do they measure the height from the ground, or from the water surface? Most above ground pools would have to have a whopper of a screen if it had to go to 6' above the water.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Man that is a wonderful looking deck and a great job at that. Looks nice. I just recently built me a smaller scale one and I must appreciate yours for the man hours in which you must have put into it...Looks reallly nice.

Don't allow that beautiful pressure treated wood color to go looking brown in a few years. Seal in the new look and moisture with new wood defender found at
HTML:
[B]www.epaintstore.com/paint/flood_seasonite.htm [/[/B]HTML] .  This stuff should seal in the natural moistures of the wood and allow the regulate the moisture escaping resulting in less cracks and checks and also prevents warping.

I placed it on my new one after about 4-5 months of weathering and about 4-5 months after that placed an oil on it that penetrates deeply into the woods pores to maintain that new pressure treated wood look. 

Can be kind of pricey.. but I looked at it like an investment in that in which I had already put money and time into..

Now it looks good, has a sheen to it...

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Where do i go and find the laws for my area Thomasville , Davidson county? I do live in the county limits and not the city.

Me and a buddy took about 24 hrs to build the complete deck. The grill area was an after thought.

Truefire i went to the link you posted and seen the sealer but couln't find the specs and instructions do you know where they are at that site?

Truefire

New User
Chris
http://www.flood.com/flood/

http://www.flood.com/Flood/TipsandTools/FactsandTips/New+Wood+Tip.htm

http://www.antonline.com/p_FLOOD-COMPANY--04020--Seasonite-New-Wood-Treatment-_333689.htm

http://doitbest.com/Wood+stain+and+finish-Flood-model-04020-doitbest-sku-784173.dib

http://www.tool-box-hardware.com/Flood/Seasonite-New-Wood-Treatment-B0002YWS6I.htm

The first two sites may help you in reference to Flood New Wood Defender Seasonite. The latter three are sites whereby I located 5 gallons cheaper than others. There are some more brands out there other than Flood. The reason i chose it was simply because it is the most advertised as you search online and such. Plus all the hardware stores in my area carry that brand and Lowes and Home Depot. However they do not carry the new wood defender. I ordered mine from the internet. The local hardware stores can order it for you and such but with the cost of gas and all the running back and forth. I jsut ordered it online. I ordered two gallons never had need for a 5 gallon bucket but i simply attached those web links because of the size of your deck.

This stuff goes on clear and turns somewhat opaque for a moment or two. Is the consistency of water or somewhat thicker. I applied mine with a brush, but with a deck like yours, you could spray it on with something like a garden sprayer. The pressure treated lumber soaks it up quickly. All the instructions advise it to apply a first coat wait however ? many minutes and apply the second (final) coat.

I hope this helped I am sorry I could not locate any spec sheets on the product for you. But I think the condensed brief product descriptions located on some of the websites above may help you.

Anymore questions, reply or send a private message. I know you want to make sure you finish the deck properly due to its size and the monies involved in the build.

Thanks, Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS