AAPA wall plaque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
P1010050.jpgGot started early this year on my Xmas projects. Only 3 this year. An AAPA (American Academy of Physician Assistants) for my youngest and a Navy wall plaque for my oldest. Finally a floor model jewelry cabinet for my wife.
The AAPA is first since it has so darn many small letters to cut out. (36 - 1.2" tall by 1/8" thick). I had to modify the table on my scroll saw by making a zero clearance top to be able to saw the small letters and keep my fingers in tact at the same time.

Final cut of letters took about 6 hours (over a couple days of course).

finished cut.jpg

Once I had it all cut I had to remove the patterns and clean the wood for paint. I was going to just leave all the wood natural but decided to cover up some of my goofs with paint.

almost done.jpg AAPA color.jpg The pin to the left is roound and 1" diameter. I scanned it to make a B/W pattern in Adobe Illustrator. Once all the letters are glued on, I plan to clear coat the whole thing.

The Navy plaque is in the process of being cut out too while I finishe the AAPA. It's a pattern from the Winfield Collection. I'll post some of it's progress in a day or two.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Wow Mike, that looks amazing! Very nice job on that piece. Yes, love to see the pics of the Navy plaque too. Thanks for sharing.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Finished painting the letters and dry spaced them in place before final gluing.lettering fitted.jpg Gluing today and then final sealing with gloss clear. One down. Here's a shot of what the Navy plaques are to look like..

navy plaques.jpg navy - first cut.jpg First cut. Using red oak for this piece so cutting is slow to minimize / eliminate breaking. Dark backing is walnut and large frame is maple. Would be easier with BB but not as neat.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Wow Mike, that looks amazing! Very nice job on that piece. Yes, love to see the pics of the Navy plaque too. Thanks for sharing.

Except for the urethane, the Navy plaque is done now too. I initially did the small letters with a spiral blade and didn't like the results so I dressed the letters up by going back over them with a #3 double/reverse blade. I'll pick up a couple cans of spray gloss and semi gloss lacquer tomorrow.

finished navy plaque - small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS