A Small Wood Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
We buy a load of logs every other year for firewood, this year I specified White Oak and Cherry. As a rule this stuff would go to the chipper. Usually I get some usable cuts for turning and short boards.
Here's half the load cut up (a bud bought the other half).

EPSN0002.jpg

A few of the Cherry shorts I'm saving for something:

EPSN0003.jpg

I saw an ad on Craigslist for 4" by 6" cants of Cherry and Walnut for ~$1 bd/ft, and couldn't turn it down"

EPSN0001.jpg

10 pieces 6' + long (6 Walnut, 4 Cherry) and 6 pieces 10' + long 4 Walnut, 2 Cherry). Some have checks, 1 10' Cherry has a twist.
It'll take some work to get good stock, but I have more time than money.

I ran 2 Walnut and 1 Cherry 6' pieces thru the planer a few times to see what was underneath.

EPSN0006.jpg

EPSN0009.jpg

EPSN0007.jpg

If anyone is in the area, or will be passing thru and would like some of the log chunks for turning, let me know before I get the splitter out. there is plenty of WO and some Cherry.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Good find on the walnut and cherry!

How do you find someone to buy logs from for firewood?

I may have to start doing that.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I would love some for turning if I am the Choosen one to recieve DaveO's super awesome Lathe. It's just a little far away. 2+ hours. The wood looks very nice.

Thanks for the offer, maybe the pony express can help, or maybe Erasmussen would like some as well?

Sincerely,

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Good find on the walnut and cherry!

How do you find someone to buy logs from for firewood?

I may have to start doing that.
Morning Mike,
We get ours from a guy that worked where I did before I retired.
But, the local Craigslist often has ads from folks offering firewood logs by the truckload. This years load was $200, up from the usual $150 due to fuel prices at the time we ordered it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Ken,

I'll start checking around, I'd like to get a couple years worth put up before next winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS