A Rosewood Rifle Sight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I have an 1873 model Trapdoor "Springfield" carbine, but between the barrel-mounted open rear sight and my 63 year old eyesight, it's all I can do to keep the shots on the paper at 50 yards! I needed a peep sight, similar to this one , of the sort seen on Tom Selleck's Sharps rifle in the movie "Quigley Down Under".

Such items are a bit too expensive for me to justify purchasing (I've been out to the range only 3 times in the past two years), and I decided to try building one of wood. I've a bit of scrap rosewood left over from making a set of Irish Uilleann Pipes, so I made up a crude sketch and went at it.

Here is the end result:

3rdbas3mntd4-dscf0475.jpg

I went through experiments with 3 base pieces, and the final version is shown on the carbine; it has a curved underside lined with .010 brass, and brass bushings for the mounting screws. Here is a closer view, with a screw backed out to show the bushing:

3rdbasechipout-dscf0463.jpg

This base also got an unintended cut out from the curvature, because I forgot what setup I had used on the first two bases before shaping on the router table and my curve pattern had popped out of place while shaping (when I remembered the setup, I made a posed photo of it for future reference).

The first version had a flat base, but mounting to the carbine would have been problematic:

Sight-complete-1st_dscf0431.jpg

The eye disk is mounted to a threaded brass rod which forms the sight tube, which screws into a brass front sliding piece and allows elevation adjustment by loosening and tightening the disk.

This is the first project which got extensive photo documentation on the construction; there are 25 pix on this particular project, posted to my galleries.

John

jerrye

New User
Jerry
NICE!!!!! Great way to accomplish an improvement in your shooting. BTW, I love "Quigley" and his other western, "Crossfire Trail". Proves Selleck is more than Magnum!

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Great looking sight! I have the 1884 model in near mint condition - original blueing and the barrel inside looks like it just came from the factory. It belonged to my great, great uncle. NOW IT'S MINE!!!!!!!

Jim in Mayberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS