A new (very old) jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
jfiles said:
My wife informed me that one of her co-workers had an old jointer that he didn’t have any use for and that I could have it if I would go pick it up (freebee). It turned out to be an old Craftsman jointer.

Loaded it in my truck (must have weighed 200 lbs.) and took it home. Checked it over, and everything seem to be in place. Plugged it in, turned it on and it spun up whisper quite. I ran a small piece of red oak fire wood through it and wow – it put a silky smooth finish on it. It needs a good cleaning – any suggestions on cleaning the surfaces, fine sandpaper maybe? The new video on Jointer Planer Knife Setting that Steve D uploaded is perfect timing. I received a new dial indicator and magnetic base today from Grizzly - $22.25 + ship and I should be able to give it a good tune-up. I’ll let you know how it goes. Any advice on cleaning, setup, where to buy knives, general maintenance etc. would be appreciated. -Jack
Jointer_thumb.jpg

Jack,

I wouldn't be surprised if that jointer wasn't made by someone like Walker-Turner. It sure isn't the typical Craftsman stuff I have seen. Keep us informed as to who actually made it.

MIke

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
michaelgarner said:
psst,,pssstt,,ncpete! psssst! are we gong to get in trouble here for having so much fun? I think steve or one of the other moderator's are going to kick us off,,lol

:eusa_whis:eusa_whis

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
DaveO said:
Dang my name use to be all over those, my secret to post count increas-ation has been discovered. I think I see a new 1K'er coming on soon :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Posting responses to your pics and Insom's alone should push me over the 1k mark. :slap:

wonder if I can find that kind of time over the next few days. Sleep is over-rated, in the pursuit of 1k-ness.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
one thing I would suggest bro is getting a twist link belt,,if that hasent been coverd yet,,keeps down on vibration,,not like you will have a prob with that though.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I had considered the twist-link belt for the vibration reason on my Jet contractor's TS, figuring it had been in the box for more than 2 YEARS. But somewhere I read that when measured against a good new belt, there was no improvement in NVH when compared against the twistlink.... A nickle will stand on my table with the old new belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors