A New Desk in My Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Today I watched Norm build his version of the Mission Style desk and found that I need one just like his. Time and money is all it takes - you know the story. And it might be easier than the corner cupboard my wife wants. See: The New Yankee Workshop Tools

I am wondering if anyone of you has built this project?
Roy

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
While I've never built this desk, she's a beauty!

I have purchased plans from NYW and they were top notch -- so I'd guess the plans for this will be great.

Let us know if you take it on and what the results look like! :eusa_danc

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I wish I had seen that episode. I have been considering building a desk myself, and have been unsure of the style. This one, I definitely like.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Saw it too. Looks like a reason to go out and buy a hand-held drum sander, 4' oscillating belt sander, dedicated mortiser, etc, etc,:rolf:
Personally, I thought the finish left something to be desired. I used to have a work bench made of pine 2 x 4s that I used to clean parts on when overhauling engines that had that "patina". Why use QSWO if you're going to finish it with a "used motor oil" look!!

my $.02:lol::lol:

Go

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The picture on the website looks more like the color of fresh motor oil.:lol:
I expect if I do one similar, it will be out of mahogany or cherry to match what I have already made for my girls.

J

jeff...

Thats a cool looking desk, I like the style. Seems to me having plans would be a lot easier than just making it up as you go along :cry:.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
To All, I'm glad that some admire the style. Some things that Norm builds are items that have no interest to me, yet this one caught my eye. Different styles for different folks?
Regarding the finish - Gofor, you mentioned used motor oil and I agree. For those who missed the show, Norm used a very dark stain and the result was nothing like the picture on the website. I am partial to cherry so that will get serious consideration. In the past I have used Norm's plans for the garden shed and his router table - both beautifully detailed. Unfortunately, the garden shed stayed with the house when we sold and moved to NC.
I have recently built a gun cabinet and a hutch from pictures that I found and from my own ideas. With my talents, there's no question that working from Norm's plans is the way to go.
Roy

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I'm with you Roy. Some of Norm's stuff I like, some I don't. I have built a lot of his Adirondack chairs, and I got started doing woodworking watching Norm build a small side table and thinking "I can do that".

I am probably going to modify the design a bit. I may order the plans just to see the joinery he used, but for me personally, I think I will make the sides go down a little lower, and for the drawers, try to make them wide enough to be file drawer size so that means shrinkinng the center drawer some.

Considering I am sitting in a boring meeting in Kansas City, I think it is time to get Sketchup out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS