A new approach to design...

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomoonshiner

New User
morgan
Any of you guys heard of Andrew Shimanoff? His ideas about design have intrigued me and opened up a whole new world of design concept.

Taking heed of Shimanoff, I've been interested lately in Pythagorean concepts, especially in the area of woodworking design. Incorporating theorems like the Fibonacci sequence (the golden ratio) or pi (3.14159...), such classic examples of architecture as the Roman Parthenon or the Lincoln memorial were constructed. Less notably, these relationships appear in furniture or any other man-made objects.

I have two projects on deck -- one commissioned, one a personal project -- and I'm working in a few bits of what is termed 'sacred geometry', if for no other reason than to challenge my woodworking.

Guys have any thoughts? Anyone taken this approach and/or let these ideas influence your woodworking? Food for thought...

Cheers,
Morgan

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Morgan,

I use the Golden Ratio, also known as Phi (1.618.....), quite frequently in my designs. This ratio has long been known to designers and architects, and is frequently seen in the proportions of furniture and buildings over the centuries. Even the Parthenon and the Acropolis incorporate an extension of the Golden Ratio, the Golden Rectangle in their designs.

It is indeed fascinating how this number crops up even in nature. The most often cited example seems to be the spiral in the shell of the chambered nautilus.

I think you may find that even subconsciously you have employed Phi in your previous designs, as the Golden rectangle has proportions that are pleasing to the human eye, so we kind of gravitate to that shape.

Good luck in your exploration of the mathematics, and we look forward to seeing your new work as it develops.

Matt

gritz

New User
Robert
Any time you view an object you like, look carefully and you will realize that those proportions are somehow represented in the object.

crokett

New User
David
A metal working friend of my dad's bases most all of his designs on the golden ratio or the golden rectangle.

smandal

New User
sumanta
This post really got me thinking. I was aware of the sacred geometry but never thought about using it in my furniture design. This is going to be perfect research topic for me.

I came across A Guide to Good Design by Graham Blackburn from Jan/Feb 2004 issue of FWW. Graham discusses using golden ratio in woodworking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS