A modern style cremation urn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Commission for a friend who lost her father. A modernist cumaru and padauk urn finished with oil and wax. The padauk strip in the center is a spline joining top and bottom. Grain is continuous on 3 corners, though it’s hard to tell with the cumaru. Final size is about 11.25” tall including feet, and 7” wide. Very close to the Golden Ratio by pure coincidence. Volume is approximately 250 cubic inches.
If anyone is interested in build notes and details they can be found here:
http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/2014/10/modern-style-cremation-urn.html

erADNh2l.jpg

bXqyXycl.jpg

kwU8yHol.jpg

zaKOzYfl.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice project Rick. I've never made an urn, but I've been told one might be in my future. Are there any special concerns when making an urn?

Rick M

New User
Rick
I chatted a little with someone more experienced who told me they are basically a box with the lid on the bottom, unless they are turned then the lid is on top. He said the ashes normally come in a plastic bag and to leave them in the bag. Rule of thumb is one cubic inch of volume for every pound the person weighed but I made this one bigger. Probably a good idea to make a good seal incase the bag ever leaks but this one will be put in a crypt and never seen again so I didn't bother.

- sent via Tapatalk

Volksdad

New User
Glen
I worked for a bit at Montlawn, so I thought I'd add to this.
They do come in a bag, and it is a very good idea NOT to open it. Sealing an urn on the inside is also a good idea, just in case that bag breaks, but generally people don't play or move this type of thing.

Columbariums (a place for urns in a cemetery) are not standardized, nor are they necessarily dry or temperature controlled. It's a good idea to call the cemetery and ask the inside dimensions as well as whether it's inside or outside. It could make a difference in your finish or design.

Rick your urn was much nicer than any I'd seen at the cemetery. I'm sure your friend was comforted with your creation. Thanks for posting and putting the blog link on!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done and a kind gesture on your part for a friend. Kudos to you.

My MIL requested that her ashes be spread in the ocean near Cape Coral, FL. So the family did that right at a beautiful sunrise. A new dawning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS