A marking gauge, something a little different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Here is a marking gauge I made from poplar and padauk. Padauk is bad about bleeding and the sanding dust spreads like a virus, as you can see in the end grain but it is hard and attractive and should protect against normal wear and tear. The iron is a hex key, cut an inch shorter to match the depth of my drill bit and the short side of the "L" cut and shaped into a bird's beak on my GP hand grinder. Maximum depth is around 2.5 inches. The fence is glued to the handle but there is a threaded insert that runs through both, locking it in place. It takes very little pressure to lock the blade securely. The design is a bit unconventional but in testing it cut extremely well, much better than pins or wheels, and the blade did not twist or flex.

IMG_20130528_112404.jpg
IMG_20130528_112510.jpg
IMG_20130528_112414.jpg

Rick M

New User
Rick
Thanks. It is a bit beefy but I tend to like beefy tools. I should have put something in the picture for scale but it's about 7" long overall.

I made a beefy marking knife awhile back and really liked it but gave it away. Padauk, maple, & walnut. I'm going to make another soon. (Notice that #### padauk bleeding again)

KOG5cM5l.jpg

Here is a marking gauge I got from a gentlemen out west, rosewood and brass, sitting next to my Crown gauge. It must weigh a pound and though it is high quality, it is a bit bulky for comfortable use.

obk5Dk6l.jpg

I'm planning another with a change to the fence attachment and I won't use padauk with a light color wood.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I made a router plane a few weeks back and used a hex key for the blade. A few weeks back I stopped by the flea market and picked up more hex keys and got to thinking about what to do with them and it just sort of evolved. This was my 2nd or 3rd try. The trouble with the early ones was the blade not being perpendicular to the fence but I solved that by cutting two dados on identical pieces and gluing them for turning stock. By aligning the dados I had a perfectly perpendicular square hole all the way through.

I can't remember if I posted the router plane before...

5CJLpiv_sm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS