A little Nastalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty49

New User
Reid Smith
I haven't posted here much lately but I recen;t completed a project that I started several months ago.
It was a simple project of restoration but in the making of the joints for the seatnback and top I had a serious saw injury so it's been on standstill til now.
It's going to be a present for the Grandson hopeing he'll have a little something of nastalgia.
The first pic' is what I started with before sandblasting.
The side pic is of the bead joint and the last pic' is the curved dovetail joint that joints the board to the frame.
LOML picked out the color and desired the worn look so it's got it's assorted nicks and flaws;-).
Hope you enjoy,
Smitty
IM000850Small.jpg
IM000927Small.jpg
IM000931Small.jpg
IM000929Small.jpg
IM000935Small.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that cleaned up great. I am sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear that you're back at it again. What happened, can you still pick your nose??? :lol: :lol: What type of wood did you use, it looks a little like Maple to me??

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Reid -- a beautiful restoration piece -- sure brings back memories for me in my younger days in a small schoolhouse (over 55 years ago!). But I was concerned as I read your post about your "serious saw injury" and hope that you've mended fully. Table saws are dangerous and require our full attention -- I religiously follow the 4" rule -- my hands never get within 4" of the blade and I always use good push sticks.

Again, a nice restoration and hope your Grandson knows the extra effort that you've put into it.

Rob

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, that's a beautiful restoration. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Chuck

smitty49

New User
Reid Smith
Thanks everyone for the compliments. To answer some of the questions and concerns the wood is Maple and the LOML picked out the color.
Dave, I'm sorry to say that I can only count to 9 1/2. While making the bead joint for the desk boards, I had a kick back and the moulding head got the best of me.
As far as what my son and I can figure, the molding head crept up and grabbed more wood than it could handle. We're thinking I might have not had the arbor lock tight enough and it let the cutter rise up. It kicked the push block out of my hand and because of the downward pressure I was using on the pushblock my hand feel right on top of the cutter.
I've been woodworking some 35 years now and this is the first serious kickback I've had. It really 'rattled my cage' not to mention the loss of the digit and coping with the recoup of the middle finger it got also but I've fallen off a bicycle ( and a horse or two) before and had no problem getting back on for the ride. I've still got the board it happened on, thinking of framing it ;-)
I believe if it had been a saw blade instead of the molding head I probably wouldn't have had quite the damage.
Thanks again for the compliment, stay safe and
Have a Good One,
Smitty

cskipper

Cathy
Serious OUCH! Thanks for sharing the details - it alsways helps to remind each other about how quickly accidents can happenn. Nice restoration.

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks everyone for the compliments. To answer some of the questions and concerns the wood is Maple and the LOML picked out the color.
Dave, I'm sorry to say that I can only count to 9 1/2. While making the bead joint for the desk boards, I had a kick back and the moulding head got the best of me.
As far as what my son and I can figure, the molding head crept up and grabbed more wood than it could handle. We're thinking I might have not had the arbor lock tight enough and it let the cutter rise up. It kicked the push block out of my hand and because of the downward pressure I was using on the pushblock my hand feel right on top of the cutter.
I've been woodworking some 35 years now and this is the first serious kickback I've had. It really 'rattled my cage' not to mention the loss of the digit and coping with the recoup of the middle finger it got also but I've fallen off a bicycle ( and a horse or two) before and had no problem getting back on for the ride. I've still got the board it happened on, thinking of framing it ;-)
I believe if it had been a saw blade instead of the molding head I probably wouldn't have had quite the damage.
Thanks again for the compliment, stay safe and
Have a Good One,
Smitty

A reminder to us all, thanks for sharing......:BangHead: Glad you're back in the saddle:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS