A great glue spreader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
With all the rocker laminates for the rocker class, Woodguy and I have been doing a lot of glue-ups lately. We have been using plastic resin glue, and experimenting a little with slight variations in the mix and different methods for spreading the glue quickly and easily. We tried old paint brushes, a paint roller, and a regular PVA glue bottle roller... none of these worked all that well. With the brushes it was too much work spreading the glue, and almost impossible to get an even coat. The paint roller worked "OK" initially, but then started disintegrating and we had to pick little pink fuzzies out of the glue (sorry, SteveD, we did the best we could... :p ). The little glue bottle roller was a lot closer to what we needed, but the rubber was too firm and the width was too small to be really effective.

We finally settled on this: a soft rubber roller called a "brayer", made by Speedball (a company out of Statesville).

g453.jpg

This can be found in the ink stamping section at Michael's, and probably at other craft stores as well. I picked up 2 of the 4" rollers for about $10 each, and let me assure you it's well worth the money! I used one of these for spreading formica laminate adhesive as well. It got a little gunked up because I used a little too much glue, but each time I have used this roller I have been able to get a nice even coat of glue. It has cleaned up easily with both warm water (for the PRG) and paint thinner (for the laminate adhesive), and still rolls like the day I bought it!

Just figured I'd share with the group... :icon_thum

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Thanks for sharing that with us. I'll have to pick one up. So my question is, who's rockers had the perfect glue up. Ha ha.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great tip Monty. I have tried all of the three methods you mentioned previously and have always wanted to try to find something better. Thanks for sharing.

D L

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Watch your newspaper ad section on Sundays for the Micheal's, AC Moore, Ben Franklin Crafts, etc. inserts. They all routinely have 40% off coupons and all carry pretty much the same products.

Kind of like Harbor Freight...never pay retail unless you have a craft emergency...even have a special aroma in the stores.:)

While you're there check out their glue prices/selection. Got a bottle of Gorilla glue and some PSA backed cork sheets real cheap recently.
Mark

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have used a bondo spreader before with mixed results, looks like a great tip!

woodguy1975

New User
John
insomniac said:
Let's just say... WG and mine were last. :)

Hehehehehehe! All the rockers came out perfect. I didnt' see any gaps in anyones laminations. Steve and Brandon own me and Monty for the glueup work. :D It's a good way to beef up the forearms. If you did those glueups every day you'd end up like Popey.

Monty is right on with the roller. :) Don't think he is getting back the one left in my shop. :rolf:

"What roller are you talking about?" :p

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS