A Good Deal On A Lathe? I don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I agree after some research that the price is a little high, and a great lathe to be had. He will probably negotiate the price though.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
What do you intend to do with it? If you want to turn pens it is way overkill. If you want to turn small bowls the cut-away base is a big plus. Will it handle large bowls outboard? Cannot say. What does it have for chucks? Two banjo's are nice but not always necessary and without an extra long tool rest not a whole lot of benefit, but again nice to have. You may not be turning table legs on it as it appears to have about a 2' bed but hard to say based on a single pic. Lack of a variable speed drive is somewhat of a detraction, but honestly it is not all that hard to change the belts, just kind of a nuisance. Tailstock appears to be solid and that is a positive. The tools look like Craftsman to me and they are perfectly fine for holding an edge and getting the job done.

Does the base come with it? That could be a plus for it as it will need one. Damping vibration is always an issue with a lathe, not sure that the one shown does as good a job as cast iron. Looks to me to be a modest lathe in good overall condition. So - the main question is what will you do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors