A fun project in Greensboro this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Earlier this week, with the assistance of my brother in law I retrieved a 24,000 lb red oak log from the Blandwood Mansion and Museum in Greensboro, NC.

Blandwood, a National Historical Landmark and also listed on the National Register of Historic Places, dates back to the late 1700's and was the ancestral home of Governor John M. Morehead, a highly regarded NC Governor and Philanthropist. A massive oak tree on the grounds had recently split and was starting to rot inside, and the museum staff and director made the hard decision to remove the tree before it started to fall down on it's own. They did not want to see the remnants go to a landfill though (and who can blame them?!).

For me, this project started several weeks ago when I was contacted by Erich Thompson, a woodworker and preservationist local to Greensboro who went to extraordinary lengths to personally arrange for the wood from the tree to be treecycled. Much of the upper canopy sections of the tree were harvested for local bowl turners, and Erich contacted me about reclaiming the main trunk into lumber.

All in all I ended up making three trips to try to retrieve the log. The first trip was last Monday; I arrived with a crew only to discover that the log was not accessible for parbuckling due to a plethora of the tree canopy logs that still surrounded it. Trip 2 was Monday of this week. In this instance we were able to set up and start parbuckling, but unfortunately my ramps decided to bend into banana's under the weight of that massive log. Monday night it was back to the drawing board to fabricate a new set of ramps from 12" I-beams with the addition of some mid-span supports that could rest on blocking.

Eureka! Tuesday's attempt to load the log was successful, albeit slow. It took Kevin and I eight hours to load this massive log onto a trailer using only a winch, multiple snatch blocks, come-a-longs, ramps and a 20 ton hydraulic bottle jack. The following day I was quite surprised to see an article in the Wednesday Greensboro New's and Record about our retrieval, with Kevin and my photos appearing in the paper loading the log.

Sometime in April I plan on milling the massive log into a mix of full width live edge slabs and wide quartersawn planks.

Here are a couple of photo's of Kevin and I loading the log: All in all a fun project!

Scott

Loading log2.jpg

loading log.jpg

The Greensboro News and Record had a nice writeup about the tree's history and our efforts to treecycle it:

Article.jpg

Attachments

• Susan Ladd Column March 1 2016.pdf
    625.8 KB · Views: 87

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Pretty cool, but I dont know about whoever that is on the downhill side of that log halfway up the ramps!!! Looks like a good way to get crushed!!

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
WOW!! Was that the only trunk section that you were able to salvage? Sounds like maybe the rest was split down to that part and wasn't usable for lumber.

Just out of curiosity, I'm assuming that renting a crane or something locally to load the log would have been cost prohibitive. Seems like something large enough to move that section wouldn't be cheap. Or maybe there were access restrictions or limitations.

B

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Scott that is just mind boggling. I would love to see you post some photos of the cut process. Well done.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Many thanks to Scott and Erich Thompson for teaming up to save this local icon.

Erich is a gifted craftsman specializing in religious furnishings. He is also the gracious host for our monthly meetings of the Triad Woodworkers. Come join us at his shop next Tuesday at 6:30!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Pretty cool, but I dont know about whoever that is on the downhill side of that log halfway up the ramps!!! Looks like a good way to get crushed!!

Chris, that is me below the log. I had redundant safeties holding the log in place so I was not concerned.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
WOW!! Was that the only trunk section that you were able to salvage? Sounds like maybe the rest was split down to that part and wasn't usable for lumber.

Just out of curiosity, I'm assuming that renting a crane or something locally to load the log would have been cost prohibitive. Seems like something large enough to move that section wouldn't be cheap. Or maybe there were access restrictions or limitations.

B

Generally it is only feasible to mill logs from straight tree trunks; limb wood is full of stress, so only the one trunk section.

Re a crane, the jobsite was space limited and a crane would have added around $600.00 to the cost to load the log. I opted to use the slower (but cheaper) parbuckling method for loading. I did use a crane for unloading though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors