A freebee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
Went to my Dads shop today and I left with a few goodies. He gave me this old plane as well as motising bits and lumber. Look in my photo gallery for more pics of the ol #6 plane and his shop.:lol:
works004.jpg

works001.jpg

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
awww crap,,here comes the hand plane bug, you will get a number 5 now, then a number 4, then a number 3, then a number 7 and 8, then you will want some rabbit planes, then a 45. Be careful, your on the edge and dont know it,, lol.. great score. Once you clean them up and get it tuned, you will want to make curles all day long. Be blessed friend. Awsome book if you arent familiar with hand planes. The handplane book by Garret Hack
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561587125/sr=8-5/qid=1140487859/ref=pd_bbs_5/102-5011978-6276151?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
Thanks for the book link and the age estimates. It was actually used by my Grandfather, Uncles and My Dad! So it is a family tool, even better. It looks great next to the # 4 I have. I am getting the bug, but I am scared to clean em up, I might mess it up.8-O :crybaby2:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice plane. Your dad's shop is a classic, I bet there was tons of wonderful things made in there. It's nice to have someone as a mentor, my dad is not handy at all. Wonderful man, but I got more tools than he does.

Dave:)

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
DaveO said:
Nice plane. Your dad's shop is a classic, I bet there was tons of wonderful things made in there. It's nice to have someone as a mentor, my dad is not handy at all. Wonderful man, but I got more tools than he does.

Thanks, His big thing is building clocks and picture frames. He even made a clock years ago that all the gears and movement frame and body were all made of wood...And it kept time. He sold it a couple of years ago.. ??? Money talks. I have 3 of his clocks here at my house.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dullblade said:
He even made a clock years ago that all the gears and movement frame and body were all made of wood...And it kept time. quote]

WOW, I would love to see some pictures of his clocks. That sound like incredibly cool and amazingly precise work.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Roger, nice score.:icon_thum I am glad to see your father passed it on to you to keep it in the family.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
OK, I just remembered where I kept these pics... I took a pic of my Type 17 No 6 plane beside my No 7 (which is a type 9). This really shows the contrast in the thickness and mass of the old WWII-vintage castings compared to other vintage Stanleys!

IMG_7331_2.jpg

IMG_7333.jpg

This is one of the reasons why I like the Type 17's! :mrgreen:

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
DaveO said:
Dullblade said:
He even made a clock years ago that all the gears and movement frame and body were all made of wood...And it kept time. quote]

WOW, I would love to see some pictures of his clocks. That sound like incredibly cool and amazingly precise work.

The wood movement was very precise. It seems the older he gets the less he stresses the precise cuts. I can see a huge decline in clocks he made 20 years ago and the ones of today. In addition he makes simpler clocks now also. This is all good considering he is 79 and has had 3 types of cancer and so far beat them all. I still love to see him work and see the results when he is done.

On the other hand he Paints also and I can see massive improvement in his art. He paints from photos people take of architecture (Spelling?). Old houses and stores mainly. The Post office in Newell N.C. has some of his early work on their wall. It includes the old Newell Store and Post Office as well as the train station. He has many talents.:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's very interesting my father has gotten into water color painting and is finding the architect he always wished he could be. He too paints structures, often things that he and my mom photograph on their travels. I have a painting that he did of our house hanging above the computer right now. He is also about the same age as your father too.

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
DaveO said:
That's very interesting my father has gotten into water color painting and is finding the architect he always wished he could be. He too paints structures, often things that he and my mom photograph on their travels. I have a painting that he did of our house hanging above the computer right now. He is also about the same age as your father too.

Hey, I have a picture of my house he painted as well, We are brothers!! Oh my gosh, I always knew you didnt die at birth like they told me. It is just that they liked me better!!! :lol: :lol:

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
DaveO said:
Dullblade said:

Here are 2 of his clocks. The little decorative peice at the top of the second clock was not made by him. It was a stamped piece he got from the movement supply company. He didnt like it when it was done so I took the clock before he took it apart.

DadsClocks004.jpg

DadsClocks003.jpg

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
m081779 said:
wow, that's some great work! I especially like the finials on the first clock. How long ago were those made?

the first clock was about 7 years ago and the second clock about 5-6. The second was a prototype for one he built later that turned out much nicer, I didnt get it though!...:-|

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
michaelgarner said:
awww crap,,here comes the hand plane bug, you will get a number 5 now, then a number 4, then a number 3, then a number 7 and 8, then you will want some rabbit planes, then a 45. Be careful, your on the edge and dont know it,, lol.. great score. Once you clean them up and get it tuned, you will want to make curles all day long. Be blessed friend. Awsome book if you arent familiar with hand planes. The handplane book by Garret Hack
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561587125/sr=8-5/qid=1140487859/ref=pd_bbs_5/102-5011978-6276151?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I just ordered the book from Amazon. SB here next week. I saw the same book today in Tools Plus in Wilmington for $27.95. Thanks for the link Michael.

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
Thanks for the link. I started thinking and figured I would check the public library down the street. They didn't have it but found it accross town and I can pick it up friday just up the road when it is transfered here. I will preview it and if I really like I will order a copy to keep. Thanks:eusa_danc

helmswatch

New User
Duke
What great looking planes!

Who'd athunk a year ago, that Captain Duke would be drooling, uuuuuuuing & ahhhhhing over a plane?! 52' Hatteras' yes, 1956 ChrisCrafts yes, 1936 Knucklehead EL's yes, a woodplane??

They are great looking planes and the fact that they are a part of your heritage makes them that more sweeter. Only thing I have of my Dad's tools is an old little ballpeen hammer he would let me swing when he built things. One of my dearest treasures.

Duke

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
dang brother that is awsome,,great work, congrats on checking the book out before buying it. Do you think I could commision your gradfather to paint a 1964 1/2 mustang. SWMBO gave me a guy room in the house, (aside from my side of the bed) and I would love a hand painted peice in there of my favorite car. If its something that you think he would enjoy doing, if not no bother. Just something to chew on.
Be blessed friend.

Ohh ya bro, I dont know what planes you have but if you go on ebay and there are slew of baily planes, #3-#5 are pretty regular, you can get them cheap, the #6-#8 go for more, you have to wait at the last min to bid and bid well. Also tons of specialty planes Stanley #45, #46 ect, ect.

ohh ya and another thought about doing a refurb on them, there is lots of knowledge here about it, and if you do it now and save the plane, put it back in order, it can be passed on to the next generation. It could still be used as well by them. My little boys eyes light up every time I get one in the mail. Im sure they will get them when go later in life. I plan on having them help refurb it, and then teach them how to use it as well. Well something to chew on. Be blessed.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Wow Roger, thats freaky for me.

I too, inhereted my dads plane and its just about a dead ringer for yours except for the length, down to the paint worn off of the wooden handles.

When I was just a teen, my dad noticed I spent a lot of time making things from wood. He viewed woodworking as a chore that was done when necessity dictated it and didnt relish it in the least. One Sat. afternnoon, when I was only 12, I was making a box for some of my stuff, electronic components with boards I had picked up here and there from different places.

One was rough cut, and I was using the hand rasp type planer (all I had) to smooth it out some. He gave me a look on his way in the house when he came home for lunch. Then 40 minutes later, on his way out, he stopped and stared at me some as I stroked and stroked on this board struggling to get somewhere. I didnt stop and eat lunch, when I was woodworking I was totally immersed.

Anyway, he snapped out of his stance and went to the garage. A moment later he came out and walked up to me and said "Here son, I never use it and you will probably figure out how in no time, so you take it, hope it makes your job easier there."

I stopped and took it from him with my mouth open, mumbled a feeble thank you as he turned and left to go back to work. I was humbled by this act because this was among the tools in a metal US Navy chest he told me never to use without his permisssion, and he just gave it to me.

I have had that plane ever since, and have planned many a board with it.

Some things have a feel to them. When you have the plane set correctly, and you stroke it perfectly to reveal a nice long curl, there is not description for that instant gratification you get as it transpires. If you are a woodaholic, or any of the various descriptions we woodworkers assign each other, this tool sings to you when you use it.

I hope this same demeanor washes over you when you use your plane.

cad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS