A day carving with PeteM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Recently, in another thread, PeteM offered to spend time w/ anyone interested in learning to carve. Well, yesterday, my grandson and I took him up on his generous offer. We drove down to Charlotte and monopolized about 3 1/2 - 4 hours of his time. What a great guy, and a wonderful visit.

First, Pete showed us some carvings he is working on, and how he goes about designing and starting a piece. He went over his carving tools and how he uses them, as well as what works and doesn't work for him. He patiently let my grandson try various tools and guided him through their use, and answered all the questions he had. And he even gave us a lesson in sharpening a few of our carving chisels.

For my 12 year old grandson, who has become interested in carving, this was a very special day. All the way home he talked about what he had learned from Pete. Today he couldn't wait to get in the shop and start putting it to practice. He was even excited about sharpening a couple of gouges. :eusa_danc

Pete, I can't thank you enough for all your time and attention yesterday: THANK YOU! :notworthy: And of course, we have pics in the gallery to back it up.
Drogar-BigGrin%28DBG%29.gif

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks for the Thanks! Glad you and Luke enjoyed the day.

It's nice to meet a boy who's interested in something that isn't digital!

He's welcome to come back anytime.

pete

richlife

New User
Rich
Good show all around, Bill and Pete!

Bill, my grandsons are 6 and 8 and both are fascinated by my workshop and some of my work. Naturally, they haven't shown a lot of "want to" at this point, but I have real hope -- after they get old enough to understand what the sharp end means...

Rich

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Good show all around, Bill and Pete!

Bill, my grandsons are 6 and 8 and both are fascinated by my workshop and some of my work. Naturally, they haven't shown a lot of "want to" at this point, but I have real hope -- after they get old enough to understand what the sharp end means...

Rich

Rich, I feel really lucky and special that he wants to work in the shop. My two oldest grandkids (19 & 16) have shown no interest, and the two youngest (4 & 2) think the shop is neat (they love to "drive" the wheels on the Unisaw) but obviously don't understand the concept yet. If Luke remains interested, I'll consider myself a lucky man. :icon_cheers At least I'll have someone to leave my tools to. :gar-La;

Bill

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looks like a great day at Pete's shop. My son and I have wanted to get into carving but have not taken the plunge yet. Hopefully soon.

richlife

New User
Rich
Rich, I feel really lucky and special that he wants to work in the shop. My two oldest grandkids (19 & 16) have shown no interest, and the two youngest (4 & 2) think the shop is neat (they love to "drive" the wheels on the Unisaw) but obviously don't understand the concept yet. If Luke remains interested, I'll consider myself a lucky man. :icon_cheers At least I'll have someone to leave my tools to. :gar-La;

Bill

Hmm, "leave my tools to". Yeah, that's a thought I've had too -- but no immediate plans :gar-La; ! My son-in-law was also very interested in woodworking before his career took off, so I have high hopes for the boys. And at least I do have someone to leave my tools to. :rotflm:

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS