A bit of Sad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I received an email a few weeks ago from the Wounded Warrior organization stating they were not going to participate in any activities with us this year. No explanation if this was members choice or managements choice.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I have a friend who lives in Holly Springs that lost his legs to an IED in Afghanistan. I could possibly connect you to him for suggestions, as he is involved with wounded vet causes. Just let me know.

John Harris

New User
John
There are much better organizations to be affiliated with. "For example, Disabled American Veterans Charitable Service Trust spends 96 percent of its budget on vets. Fisher House devotes 91 percent. But according to public records reported by "Charity Navigator," the Wounded Warrior Project spends 60 percent on vets." Follow the money.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wounded-warrior-project-accused-of-wasting-donation-money

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/3...ounded-warrior-project-on-its-watch-list.html

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Dirk, we just made the outreach experience to the veterans and not any monetary donations correct?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
We never charged them and always bought lunch for them, but they did have some minor transportation expenses.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
We never charged them and always bought lunch for them, but they did have some minor transportation expenses.
To my knowledge we never paid those transportation charges. We just gave them a free class and some cheap sandwiches

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
After watching news this week about Wounded Warrior program, not giving money might be the problem. Seems they like to have a BIG party, self serving for upper staff. Several FORMER spokesmen have resigned because of this.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
After watching news this week about Wounded Warrior program, not giving money might be the problem. Seems they like to have a BIG party, self serving for upper staff. Several FORMER spokesmen have resigned because of this.

That is upsetting. However during all the events we did for the wounded warriors I never felt like we were doing it for the program. We did it for the warriors and hopefully we can find a way to do some more events for our warriors, program or not - they deserve it

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I've heard similar stories about TWWP for a number of years, but was amazed how much more they have been spending recently on "parties." I'm a VET with a minor disability, but have never given a cent to the WWP.

Not to change the subject, but at one time I thought about donating a vehicle to "Boat Angel," (also known as Car Angel). Though it is hard to find any reliable info not originated by them (they must pay Google a lot of money) or tainted by them, they are pretty much a SCAM. They even had themselves classified as a church to avoid IRS scrutiny. And what's up with all these police "charities" constantly calling and sending solicitations for money?

Skymaster

New User
Jack
From what I understand from sources close to the police, the "charities" are full time solicitors, they get a substantial cut of the funds collected.

mayszs

New User
Zack
A very good friend of mine was assigned to the wounded warrior barracks at Camp Lejeune after injury in Iraq.
If there is interest I can try to coordinate directly with the unit.
If it's in direct support of veterans and no profits will be generated by our members I will do anything I can to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS