8" jointer va craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is a fair deal...... I would debate between a g0490 at that price but still I got a good deal at grizzly the putting a spiral head in mine would put me right at that price on craigslist so if you got it for a little cheaper then asking you probally cannot beat that

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Price seems high for a used item with no warranty, no customer service and no course of action if you discover problems after a week of owning it. It does appear to be in great condition though.

while I agree I would not want the pay that much for a used item but 8" jointers are much harder to find on the used market then a 6"....... this is a pretty good grizzly model amd toos in $300 for the spirial head

a g0656x that is the similar current model is $1250 and $1400 shipped so if the craiglist seller could be talked down a little it could work for someone but you never know what you will find waiting but it does feel bad when you miss the one you ended up wanting

but then again if you were buying new then getting the g0490x at the same price of $1400 shipped and that come with the parallelagram beds and not the dovetail ways

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The thing that struck me was, he says it has low hours, but he has turned the cutters once, from position #3 to position #4. I wonder why.

Just sayin.

The thing that struck me was, he says it has low hours, but he has turned the cutters once, from position #3 to position #4. I wonder why.

Just sayin.

that is a good point I wondered about also...... does it still have the other regular blade head with it also.

maybe the cutter got pitch on the cutters and they rotated instead of cleaning them

ehpoole

Ethan
that is a good point I wondered about also...... does it still have the other regular blade head with it also.

maybe the cutter got pitch on the cutters and they rotated instead of cleaning them

I could think of several reasons: 1) not familiar with the wear characteristics of carbide inserts OR 2) one or more cutters got knicked from striking an embedded nail or other similar event (which will do no damage to the actual jointers, just the knives).

But Tat is absolutely correct that you will seldom find an 8" jointer, of any sort, for anywhere near the price that many may be used to on the used market when viewing 6" jointers. The reality is that brand new an 8" jointer sells for 50-100% (typically around $1200+) more than its 6" little brother and because of their relative scarcity on the used market the 8" jointers fair much better and retain much of their original value if they were well maintained during their lifetime.

I would never discourage anyone from trying to talk a price down and securing a better deal, but the reality is that this is a fine jointer, much in the same class as my Jet JJ-8CS (straight knives) but with the added benefit of a helical cutterhead -- it's not like one is likely to come out behind on the deal even at the asking price if one is in the market for an 8" Jointer.

To alleviate any fears of no warranty, simply take a trusted square with you, check that the bed is square to the fence and the cutterhead level to the bed, then ask him to demonstrate jointing a 2" thick board (or thereabouts) and check it for squareness and flatness (for shorter lengths, it should literally seem to "stick" to the jointer bed when you try to lift it straight up if it is flat) using your trusted square -- if everything checks out then you have a good jointer right off, if not then it may need some further adjustment and you can use it as a point to talk the price down further.

ck1999

Chris
User
I was not posting this because I am interested in it but incase anyone on here was.

It seems like a lot of people over the last few months are talking about getting a used (or new) 8" jointer. and I have not seen many of craigslist, my less in this condition.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS