5 W'S - Who What Where When & Why

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
I'm a relatively new member so I'm curious, surely others are.

Who are you, what do you make, where do you make it, when, and why?

I'm posting this in anticipation of the picnic in May so maybe some of us newer people can learn about other members in advance.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I am Mike. I make anything that I want to make. Check out my photo gallery here.

I started painting signs when I was 16 and had my own sign business when I was 20. Then made stained glass and picture frames for a few years. Met my wife and moved to GA where I worked in advertising as a layout artist and darkroom tech. Worked in the screen printing industry and fell into weave design. I design multilayer Jacquard Leno weaves for industrial fabrics and office seating like the Herman Miller Aeron and many others.

Woodworking is my hobby and a chance to explore artistic expression and problem solving. It is my hands on creative release and my escape from the computer design world.

Last edited:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I am Doug. I make furniture, built-ins, turnings, and Woodshops 😁. What Mike did not say is that he is one of the earliest members. I joined in 2006. I moved to NY last November after 18 years in Raleigh. I worked at Klingspor's Cary store for just under 2 years.

I recommend you search the name Steve Coles as he founded NC Woodworker and is still around.

Kelly

Kelly
User
I am Kelly. I have been retired for 12 years, 26 year hobbyist. I make whatever comes to mind. Like a lot of others, my house is full of my favorite pieces. If I make something my wife likes, something else has to go, so I give it away to my family, with the promise that they will never let it leave the family. I also custom make furniture for friends and family.
Small basement shop with planer, joiner, SAWSTOP tablesaw, 18” bandsaw, horizontal belt sander, 16-32 Supermax, router table dust collection, and miscellaneous other absolutely necessary tools and stuff.
And wood collector.
I go to the shop almost everyday with varying degrees of productivity 😁.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good morning, I am Richard. I do cabinet installations and design work. I’ve been in the industry for between 35 to 40 years and counting. My personal work is primarily hand tool work. Although I have built large pieces I really enjoy making and restoring tools, making boxes and small decorative shelves. My work space is a bonus room over a single car garage. I also enjoy teaching and leading workshops for this site. My time with this group has been rewarding on many levels.
So we invite you to participate and learn, teach and share your adventure in woodworking.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
I'm Tim. New at this as well. Small basement shop but I've managed to cram in a 1982 Unisaw with Biesemyer fence, 1980s Craftsman 6⅛" jointer, DeWalt 735 planer, DeWalt 779 miter saw, a couple of benches and other miscellaneous...... stuff.

Mostly like to tinker with small things, trying new techniques and learning. I'm not nearly as talented as the previous posters but I enjoy it.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Greetings From Chapel Hill... My name is Michael and I've lived in NC for about 12-1/2 years now. By degree I'm an Electrical Engineer and I've been working in electrical controls and automation in the manufacturing world for about 35 years. I've been a hobby woodworker for just as many. My love of woodworking began when I was a kid and my father wouldn't let me touch his power tools. So he gave me a pocket knife and told me to start whittling... He didn't know, or maybe he did know what he was doing! I have a dedicated shop where I love to turn on my lathe. I also have a CNC, Laser Engraver, Pyrography tools, Shaper Origin, all the other important WW tools, and I keep finding needs for other tools here and there. I've made all kinds of things! My icon on the left is one of a pair of my prized turnings. I turned on my lathe a pair of curved keepsake boxes for my two daughters. There are more pics in my photo album. I also love teaching and demonstrating various things that I know enough about to share with others. This group is my family here in NC!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hello, I have been involved with NCWW for quite a few years now, it is a great group. Fully retired now and getting back to what I enjoy - That is making almost whatever out of wood. Canoes to period furniture I will try anything.
Welcome to the group

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nichole,
Hello, I am Matt and I am excited at the prospect of you joining us for the picnic on May 18. I would be great to meet you IRL. I am a woodworking hobbyist and make everything from cabinets to cutting boards. I love being part of the NCWW community because the membership is so knowledgeable, supportive, and encouraging. I got an Xtool D1 Pro last year at an insane price and have only begun to play with what it can do so I am looking forward to seeing some of your work and learning from you.

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
I’m Aaron. My dad is, among many other things, a self-taught carpenter, and my interest developed early while helping him with construction, renovation, and maintenance projects. I started tentatively doing more “fine” woodworking (my early pieces definitely cannot be called that, although they are still in use today) almost 25 years ago, building some simple furnishings out of plywood and big box lumber. I left all of my tools behind when I moved overseas for a decade, and have started building again in earnest in just the last 18 months, this time learning to do it right.

I currently work out of a one-car garage, building furniture, home accessories, toys, gifts… just about anything that looks interesting and challenging. I’ve come to appreciate antique hand tools, and have been learning to restore and use them as well as my collection of power tools that include my grandfather’s drill press, a small table saw built in the 1950s, and a lathe I bought about 6 months ago.

I became enamored with segmented turning after seeing that kind of work for the first time in @Charlie’s shop on an NCWW shop crawl last year, and have begun to do some of that as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7469.jpeg
    IMG_7469.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 38

WildDaisies

WildDaisies
User
Greetings From Chapel Hill... My name is Michael and I've lived in NC for about 12-1/2 years now. By degree I'm an Electrical Engineer and I've been working in electrical controls and automation in the manufacturing world for about 35 years. I've been a hobby woodworker for just as many. My love of woodworking began when I was a kid and my father wouldn't let me touch his power tools. So he gave me a pocket knife and told me to start whittling... He didn't know, or maybe he did know what he was doing! I have a dedicated shop where I love to turn on my lathe. I also have a CNC, Laser Engraver, Pyrography tools, Shaper Origin, all the other important WW tools, and I keep finding needs for other tools here and there. I've made all kinds of things! My icon on the left is one of a pair of my prized turnings. I turned on my lathe a pair of curved keepsake boxes for my two daughters. There are more pics in my photo album. I also love teaching and demonstrating various things that I know enough about to share with others. This group is my family here in NC!
Is pyrography for wood burning? If so I might have some questions :)

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Yes, pyrography is wood burning. Fire away at any questions. If you'd like to talk, let me know and I'll DM you or you can DM me if you can and I will or you can send me your cell phone number and we can talk.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Greetings! Another Scott here. I am in Hillsborough. Retired DoD Data Systems Architect. I make whatever; cabinets, furniture, picture frames, and wood for British cars. Just learning the lathe. Kumiko is next. Also some metal work as needed for, shall we say, biodegradable British cars. Handy for tool making. I started just for household repairs and my first passion of loudspeakers. Did an entire kitchen in my first trailer with seconds oak flooring using a RAS.

You will find someone in the club to be experienced in about any thing. I won't say "Expert" as the best of the best, and boy some are, all learn every day. Best thing is how helpful everyone is.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
I'll play... I'm Rob.. out in Western NC. I do blacksmithing, knifemaking, wood turning and some charcuterie boards and whatever else that catches my eye. Not great at any of it... Been looking at laser engravers so I may tag you on IM for some questions if you dont mind!
F4.jpgknife and sheath.jpgMed Apple vase.jpgInlay Set.jpgAshtray2.JPGDave.JPGPurple.JPGbigbowl1.JPGJan Group knives.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors