5 1/2 Jack Plane

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I have been using my Stanley #62 on my shooting board. It works okay, but a bit cumbersome. Looking a the Wood river 5 1/2. But at almost twice the price I paid for the Stanley, I am hesitant in pulling the trigger. Anyone have experience with the Wood river on a shooting board. I know Cosman likes it, watched the video, but doesn't he have a stake in the company? What do you prefer?

Echd

C
User
I don't have a 5 1/2, but wouldn't it be more cumbersome than a 62? They're close to a #5, aren't they?

I have a LV low angle jack I really like and I wouldnt consider it cumbersome. I have a 4 and a 4 1/2 for a more relative comparison as well and I find them all useful- but I could probably get by with just one or two instead of all the different varieties.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Before buying a Veritas shooting plane, I used a Stanley #6 (same width as the 5½, but 3" longer) on my shooting board. I liked the added heft when compared to using a #5.

If you're only going to use it for shooting, the Veritas shooting plane is only $66 more than the WR 5½

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
I use a #6 size Sargent and like the size. For the WR plane, I have a 4-1/2 and like it but the blade that came with it was brittle on the end and I replaced it with a Hock. I kept the WR chip breaker on it.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
One key to a plane working well on a shooting board is having the side at 90 degrees to the sole. Out of all my planes, (I have well over a dozen of assorted makes, but predominantly old Stanleys) only my Stanley #6 Bedrock, and my Veritas low angle jack have the sides truly perpendicular. Of the two, the higher frog and greater side surface area make the Bedrock the easier one for me to grasp when shooting. The Veritas is the size of a 5 1/2, but with the lower profile, its harder for me to comfortably grip with my arthritic hands. The lower bevel does let it shear end grain a bit easier, though. Like Matt, I like to have some heft for that use, and both fill that bill. Don't have any Woodriver planes, but it may be something you want to check.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I have a #6 Bailey/Stanley that I could use but the blade is not very good. Chip breaker worn out as well. It is square enough for me to use but need to replace the mentioned parts. And I don’t know where to start. Looked at some combo pieces at different companies but they all seem to be in the $100.00 range. Then I ask is it worth it for a #6? Or just buy the 51/2? Someone tell me what to do! LOL

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a #6 Bailey/Stanley that I could use but the blade is not very good. Chip breaker worn out as well. It is square enough for me to use but need to replace the mentioned parts. And I don’t know where to start. Looked at some combo pieces at different companies but they all seem to be in the $100.00 range. Then I ask is it worth it for a #6? Or just buy the 51/2? Someone tell me what to do! LOL
Post the message above and someone will likely come to your aid...

I will look later to see if I have a #6 blade set.
Can you post a picture of the blade and chip breaker? (Not sure what you mean by "Chip breaker is worn out"?)

Maybe you mean the lever cap?

Regardless, the three parts; 1. blade, 2. chip breaker and 3. lever cap shouldn't be $100...

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
IIRC, a 5 1/2 is the 2" blade on a #5 body (same blade set as a #6). I would go ahead and buy one!! (Honestly don't know if a WoodRiver blade set would fit a Stanley/Bailey). If the blade sets swap, then you have more of a choice on which you use.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
IIRC, a 5 1/2 is the 2" blade on a #5 body (same blade set as a #6). I would go ahead and buy one!! (Honestly don't know if a WoodRiver blade set would fit a Stanley/Bailey). If the blade sets swap, then you have more of a choice on which you use.
The blade set may not (needs to be verified) swap without opening the mouth on the #6.
But you can subscribe to my motto: "More planes is ALWAYS better"

(This is the axiom to "He who dies with the most tools wins" LOL)

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Will you be doing any other planing with the new plane? If so, you'll have to figure out which one would fit better with your style of hand tool work (for me, it's the #5½, but the #6 is a great small-scale jointer plane or large fore plane). You can get a replacement blade set from Lee Valley for $67.

If you're only looking for a plane to use on the shooting board, then buy the Veritas shooting plane when it becomes available.

Last edited:

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
The blade and chip breaker appear to original. The chip breaker would not sit flat on the blade. Worked on that and got it as close as I could. The blade took a lot of work to get it square with the sides. Honestly I am tired of trying to get it right. Do not care for the thin blade, I have a difficult time sharpening it compared to the thicker blade in the 62. So I thought if I replaced them (blade and chip breaker) perhaps I could get better results. I worked on it yesterday for several hours trying to get it to perform like my 62. Flattening the sole, sharpening the blade, getting the chip breaker to fit correctly on the blade. Turned out it is a bit warped. So I am ready to try another blade and chip breaker. I heard good things about Hock blades and that is where I found the combo for about $100 with tax and shipping. But Lee Valley for $67.00? Going to check that out, see what it comes to with tax and shipping. I assume they are close in quailty.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I use a WR #6 in my shooting board. I like the extra mass.

I bought a Lie Nielsen LA jack with the hotdog attachment specifically for shooting. Didn't work out too well, mainly b/c of ergonomics, but too lightweight for me.

FWIW I would get a #6 before a 5 1/2. But either one is ok. Can't go wrong with WoodRiver. You should be able to get the Stanley 6 back in service - locate a lever cap, and upgrade the iron.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I have been using my Stanley #62 on my shooting board. It works okay, but a bit cumbersome. Looking a the Wood river 5 1/2. But at almost twice the price I paid for the Stanley, I am hesitant in pulling the trigger. Anyone have experience with the Wood river on a shooting board. I know Cosman likes it, watched the video, but doesn't he have a stake in the company? What do you prefer?
I too use a WR #6 (generally and on my shooting board). I use this particular plane largely because it's the one I own :):) and because my WR 4 1/2 is too small. Moreover, I reserve the 4 1/2 edge for other work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors