400-600 bd ft Tiger maple etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
A friend from "up north" contacted me yesterday about a batch of air dried highly figured maple. Tiger, curly, etc. It's from an old Boy that has been a furniture maker, but unfortunately has to go into a retirement home. His sons have done a partial inventory so far and come up with 400 bd ft with more to go, possibly giving a total of 600 bd ft. It's been stored under cover inside and stickered from what I can gather. The sons are asking for $12.00 a board ft and really want to sell it in large lots, possible all of it in one go. The only kicker is that it's in Rhode Island!! I thought $12 was a a bit steep, but I am sure they would be open to offers.

Sizes are 3/4 to 1 1/2" thick, 6' - 14' Long and up to 10" wide, all with good figure apparently.

Group buy anyone??? If anybody is interested PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Sounds like some nice wood, but it's a bit rich for my blood. I'd be interested if the price does drift lower, but I'm only looking for a few boards.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Sounds like some awesome wood, but out of my league right now. Does your friend have any pictures of it?

DavidF

New User
David
Sounds like some nice wood, but it's a bit rich for my blood. I'd be interested if the price does drift lower, but I'm only looking for a few boards.

That is my problem too, I could use about 60bf tops and as for going to RI for it.....

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
$12.00 BF is steep and if you go after it the price of fuel and other expenses would make it even higher. I would like some but not for the going price.:no: Terry

Nice Figures

New User
Sharon Barrett & Paula LaBelle
You don't need to go to Rhode Island, just the NC coast... I've got lots (over 500 bd ft) of curly soft maple, birdseye maple, and flame birch. The maples are kiln dried, dressed to 13/16, and straight line ripped. The birch is 4/4, also kiln dried but not surfaced. Let me know if any of you are interested. We're looking to move this flat stock....I hate to say it but we're getting deeper into the dark side and concentrating on turning stock.

Paula

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Paula - I would be interested in hearing more. Maybe you want to open a separate thread ?

I was not going to post in this thread because $12/bf + RI = :no: for me. But if we have a local-ish seller...

-Mark

Nice Figures

New User
Sharon Barrett & Paula LaBelle
I'll put more info in the classified section. We are not a large lumber dealer, we concentrate on figured woods and burls. We imported over 2500 pounds of Australian burl this year. I find with figured woods it's best to be able to put your eye's and hands on it before you buy. We're not the least expensive, and people could probably find wood cheaper on the internet but we think there is added value in the fact that we personally pick out 90% of the wood that we sell and we allow customers to pick what they want.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
That's interesting !! $12 / bd ft has got to some spectacular figured maple. I recently (three months ago) paid a visit to Irion Lumber up in PA. and paid $8 / bd ft for 4 pieces of book matched tiger maple.
15" wide by 10 ft. length. Irion will also UPS thier stock.
The partal results of that tiger went into a vanity posted here a week ago. or check my photos on this site. :icon_thum
ITS some BEAUTIFUL wood.

DavidF

New User
David
That's interesting !! $12 / bd ft has got to some spectacular figured maple. I recently (three months ago) paid a visit to Irion Lumber up in PA. and paid $8 / bd ft for 4 pieces of book matched tiger maple.
15" wide by 10 ft. length. Irion will also UPS thier stock.
The partal results of that tiger went into a vanity posted here a week ago. or check my photos on this site. :icon_thum
ITS some BEAUTIFUL wood.

My first thought was that the price was way too high to move the wood en masse, but ok if somebody wanted to buy 2-3 bd ft. I would hope that if somebody was genuinly interested in making the trip to get this wood, at least 50% of it anyway, then the price should come down to the $7-$8 per ft. range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS