3rd attempt at hand cut dovetails

Status
Not open for further replies.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
So in between smoking a pork shoulder on Friday and brisket yesterday I got over to a friend's yesterday to drop off some planes that need to be restored. He is going to present the process he uses, including electrelis (sp). at out next meeting. While there we went over cutting dovetails. Been trying and not succeeding very well. He had me go through what it did and made a few corrections to my sawing technique. They came out fantastic. Very solid, a slight gap on one of the end pins. Got a good base understanding now practice, practice practice.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Very good. Just practice, practice and practice some more. I use a jig that I can adjust the widths of all the dovetails. I'm not sure I could do the hand cut way but it's nice to know how!

Red

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Looks sturdy to me, John. :icon_thum A little sawdust in some glue, and any gap will be hardly noticeable.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks great John!
This is a learned skill - that means time, patience and practice!

I am curious about your plane restorer - you said "He is going to present the process he uses, including electrelis (sp). at out next meeting." will it be video taped or does he have a newsletter or something t see how he does what he does?

I'd come, but the commute is a bear!
:)

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Looks great John!
This is a learned skill - that means time, patience and practice!

I am curious about your plane restorer - you said "He is going to present the process he uses, including electrelis (sp). at out next meeting." will it be video taped or does he have a newsletter or something t see how he does what he does?

I'd come, but the commute is a bear!
:)

Hank, he is the VP of the wood working club up here in IL. Mike is one of our hand tool experts. We have a presenter every general meeting and we have asked him to show us our process. We currently don't video them but I will ask the guy who runs our camera (the hall where we meet has a ceiling mounted camera and a projector for focusing in on the demos.) look into what it would take. Excellent suggestion. Knowing Mike he may have a reference hand out. If we arrange to get it recorded or he has a handout I will try to make it available.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
John, those dovetails are not shabby at all. Like Bill said above, any gaps can be filled in if you think it needs it. Got a question, though. Do you do the pins or the tails first? Whichever way you do yours, try the other way and see if you prefer one over the other.

And like Hank said, practice, practice, practice.

Roy G

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
John, those dovetails are not shabby at all. Like Bill said above, any gaps can be filled in if you think it needs it. Got a question, though. Do you do the pins or the tails first? Whichever way you do yours, try the other way and see if you prefer one over the other.

And like Hank said, practice, practice, practice.

Roy G
I cut the tails first, then pins. I tried pins then tails but prefer tails first.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's a good read, Thav. Hank purchased an old rusty plane recently and it looks like a good candidate for electrolytic cleaning.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's a good read, Thav. Hank purchased an old rusty plane recently and it looks like a good candidate for electrolytic cleaning.
I have been doing them by hand (flattening the soles and sides) on a granite sink cut-out with Klingspore brand sand paper glued to it with spray adhesive.
Cleaning the japanning with brush, rag and motor oil...

I haven't even looked good at this one yet, but I may try a "Full restore" and try the electrolysis, since this will likely be a "wall hanger"

I am convinced I can do most anything with a #6, a #5 and a #4. It will probably be a while since I have a #7 1902 patent that goes with the rest of the set (3, 4, 5 and 6)

I may get this one up to speed and see if I can trade for a #8 1902 patent... (so look around if anyone is interested in a trade...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS