350 BF Sweet Gum

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
About 2 years ago FredP gave me some big sweet gum trees he had taken down out of his yard. Not being shy about free logs especially when they are large diameter. We loaded them on my trailer and I brought them back here and sawed them up on the wood mizer. They have been on sticks under my lean to air drying since then. The lumber from this tree was by far the prettiest I ever sawed and I feel like that's saying a little something because I've sawed and seen my fair share of different lumber.

Because of the stark difference between the heart and sap wood, I cut the larger diameter logs into book match sets, there's several weird and strange patterns in some of the book matched sets that would look awesome in panel glue ups.

I know this is sweet gum and sweet gum has it's "reputation" around here. But none the less the book matched sets are some pretty lumber. I was going to mill up some of it T&G and use it for flooring and the book matched sets for cabinets but decided I might as well get rid of it. If nothing else it could be used inside of a barn for stalls or animal pens because it's non toxic and strong - it's not weather resistant at all. The lumber was cut random width between 5 and 13" wide.

I whacked the stack, there is 11x 4/4 thick rows that are at least 4' wide, I figured 8' long which comes out to around 350 BF, some of the boards are longer than 8' and some of the boards are partly twisted so I figured there's at least 350 BF of good usable lumber there.

I wanted to offer it here for $300.00 for the entire stack, I would prefer to load it up on my pickup and deliver because it's down hill in the back of my and I know my 4wheel drive pickup will make back up the hill loaded (others haven't).

DarthEarl could stay busy for a long long time making segments out of this stack :gar-La;

If your interested please reply to this thread and let me know and we'll work out logistics.

Thanks

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hope you can sell it, Jeff. If not, I saw an article on the news last week about a company in Plains, GA that is using Poplar & Sweet Gum to make chop sticks & shipping them to - wait for it - CHINA! By the billions! Lumber for this use is in short supply there. This is the first commercial use I have ever heard of for the wood & the guy is expanding his operation to keep up with the demand.
Finally, something good from a Sweet Gum tree besides a good looking pen by Sawduster! :gar-Bi

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Folks, if you've never worked with sweet gum, you're in for a treat! It's been referred to as "poor man's walnut", and it often produces some outstanding boards.

It is best used in shorter pieces, such as for boxes, steps, end tables, etc, and other than understanding some movement issues it can be a great project wood.

At less than a buck a board foot, you won't go wrong!

Scott

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Bump

John (jdulaney) has a very busy schedule and we could not find a time to get together. So 350 BF of Sweet Gum available again.

Please post a reply if your interested.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'll take it and pay some extra for the extended milage. I need to side a horse run in and build a wood shed. Maybe that will do some of it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My House in Walnut Cove and any day except this Saturday when I will be teaching in Liberty, NC.

I'll call you tonight if that's OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS