30 amp extension cords?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
waiting for permission to wire my garage to power the new equipment may be a while. Can anyone tell me if this cord will work for my new 5 hp planer?? I understand i may have to change the ends, so I may not go for the glowing end type, but it is just about 25 feet from my dryer (in laundry room) to where my new planer and jointer will reside. It seems that this resolution would be cheaper than buying ends and wiring them together. Does anyone see anything wrong with this???

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'm no expert but it looks reasonable to me. if you will only be using it on the one tool why not cut the female end off the cord and wire it direct to the switch. instant cord with no breaks to come undone.:) that is how i did my shaper. the cord that came with it was only 3 or 4 feet long.:-x

fred

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I may actually be using it with my jointer, planer, and a bandsaw, too, if I can get them all on the same plug. If I am really feeling squirley, I may conver the ts to 220 also, and use that one source for the short term.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
AWG 10-3 is OK for 30 amps at 220v. However, check the owners manual for your 5HP plane. My PM66 is only 3HP and the manual called for a 30 amp breaker. IIRC, for the 5HP model, they called for AWG 8.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I endured the freezing rain and went to the shop and check the manual. For the 5HP, it specs a 10GA feed but calls for a 40amp breaker instead of 30amp (which my 3HP uses). Probably something about start-up surges. You should be fine. Also, shop carefully for plugs and receptacles. The price of some of that 220V stuff will capture your attention rapidly.

M

McRabbet

You can purchase 10 Ga. 3-wire cord (for a 3-prong dryer outlet) or 4-wire and appropriate receptacle and plugs at Lowe's. I'd recommend NEMA L6-30R / L6-30P twistlocks for the outer end that you connect to machines ("R" is for Receptacle = female; "P" is for Plug = Male end).

Rob

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Looks like you will be paying about $1.25 a foot for some SJO wire, as you will be cutting off ends. Is your dryer outlet a three or four prong outlet. Check HF and see if they have any heavy duty cords in stock. Also Northern tools would be a possible source.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
FWIW, I have my 5 hp unisaw (Labeled wired on a 220V, 30A circuit with #10 and I've yet to trip the breaker. YMMV

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Pete,
I should slap you in the head,,I have a lot of left over wire and plugs from my shop wiring saga. I will round them up and you can take what you want.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
three prong, built before NEC required a ground, so I get to save some, I guess ?
I thinks you mean before the NEC required a neutral. They have always required a ground on a dryer. They allowed the ground to be used as a neutral if it was run in SE cable, but not romex. Romex had to be four wire, including a ground. Mobile homes were the first to require four wire. The frame of the home could become hot if the grounding conductor got broken. Standing outside,with wet shoes and reach up and touch the metal door handle could cause quite a bit of excitement. "Depends" would be the order of the day.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yeah, that is what I meant :slap:

I should borrow that book, "how to wire your house yourself, without it burning down."

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Was over at the Lowes in Garner today. They stock 10-3 and 10-4 SJO cable. It is the regular stuff that drop cords are made from. The 3 wire was $1.59 a foot and the 4 wire was $1.89 a foot. It is in the big wire rack. Cut you any length that you need. Maybe your wife needs to get you a copy of "Wiring For Dummies" for you.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Pete
Ron (yellofins) has given me some 10/5 cord and I do not need all of it.:icon_thum I am sure I could come up with 25 or 30 feet if you would like it :eusa_thin

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
cool! I will be in Raleigh tomorrow, (I think?) and definitely Sunday for the Maplefest. lemme know what I need to do :) Thanks!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Copper has gone out of this world. I need to buy stock in anyone mining the stuff.
Actually the price on copper has been falling for several months now. Wire that used to be $120 a roll is now only $90. Remember that oil/ natural gas are used to make the insulation. A double whammy.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yeah, I think I saw a 250 ft roll of 12-2 for $68? strangely, the 100 ft roll was $58... guess which I am going to get when I wire all the 110v in the shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS