3/8 baltic birch

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I have a buddy that buys 3/8x5x5 baltic burch a couple hundred sheets at the time. In his process he generates several pieces of 6" x 5', 1'x5', and 18" x 5' drops that he doesn't need. Is there a market for 3/8 in the scrolling community? What would be a reasonable price to try to sell some of the drops? $1/square foot? He isn't inclined to give it away for free, but I'm not sure what would be fair market value for smaller pieces.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Hello Adam, I think a $1 a square foot would be a little high, but then again it would depend on what a full sheet is going for. I sell it for $29.50 a sheet, that's a $1.18 a square foot. I sell all my cutoffs at $.50 a square foot and have a hard time moving them from time to time. I cut about 50 sheets a week and produce a lot of ply scraps. I've even cut them up into sizes that fit in a USPS flat rate box to sell on Ebay, not much movement there as well and after all the ebay and paypal fees plus time....you didn't make anything. Again, this would depend on your local market

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Woodcraft sells packs of 1/4" BB in 10x10" or near that size - maybe a dozen in a pack - not sure what they charge for them but you can probably find it on their website. Might be a good benchmark to go by, but they have the traffic looking for such things already.

Looked it up and my memory is not so good. Their Scroll Saw pack sells for $19.99 and is 11-7/8" x 11-7/8" containing 4 1/8 pieces, 2 1/4, 2 3/8 and 1 1/2" thick piece. So that's closer to $2 a square. I think Chris' price would be more reasonable and attract more buyers but I'm definitely no retail expert.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would sell it for 25 cents per sq ft with a 100 sq ft min.
or
donate it to Habitat and write it off at $1 sq ft

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I use BB in my shop, but mostly for when I make a wooden gear clock, (1 so far, and not sure about the rest either) or perhaps some very fine fretwork pieces like Christmas ornaments with wording, but those I cut from 1/8" BB. Doesn't mean I couldn't suddenly find a very good project to use it for though.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
A bunch of us picked up some similar sized cutoffs of 1/4 BB several years ago from a cabinet shop, I believe, that used it for backing. I'd don't recall what the price was offhand, but I think I picked up 40 pieces of it and probably have 20 left. Maybe MarkE will chime in as he picked it up and coordinated the distribution of it or maybe I'll find the previous thread..... :dontknow:

B

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most scrollers are looking for 1/8" or 1/4". 3/8" is an odd thickness. I look online and could fine nothing to compare it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS