2" rigid foam insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Looking for a sheet of 2" rigid foam insulation to cut sheet goods on. Seems impossible to find in Columbia, SC area. Best I can find around here is 3/4". Guess I could glue some together with contact cement.

I found some at the Home Depot but its the pre-scored type and I'm afraid it will break. Then again, as I cut on it, I will be scoring it.

Anyone know of a source in my area?

TIA

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I must ask why 3/4" would not work. All you need to do is set the saw 1/8 deeper than the sheet you are cutting. The sheet I use is only 1/2 thick. Not sure I see how 2" is an advantage

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I must ask why 3/4" would not work. All you need to do is set the saw 1/8 deeper than the sheet you are cutting. The sheet I use is only 1/2 thick. Not sure I see how 2" is an advantage

Saw something somewhere about the higher the blade, the cooler it runs on a table saw. The depth of cut should exceed the height/depth of the gullet. I saw it on the internet so it must be true. ;-)

I could be confused.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Table saws are not skill or cut off saws OBTW.

When I insulated my garage doors the local dry wall company brought in a bunch of 2" rigid foam that was very modestly scored. They brought in about 10x's more than I needed. I can get the contact info if you would like. Long way to come.

Use duct tape on the scorings, LOL.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Instead of getting down on your knees to cut plywood, why not build a dedicated cutting bench using fold up legs? Mine has 3/4" X 3 1/2" plywood rails, with 2 X 4's laid flat ways between the rails. Ends of rails are clipped at a 45, 1 1/2" from top. The 2 X 4's are screwed thru the ply rails, using 2 1/2" screws that are located down 1" from top of rail. The 2 X 4's are spaced to match the needs of the fold down legs, plus one in the middle, and one at each end. My bench is 3' X 7'. The 7' length was chosen so bench could ride flat in bottom of the trailer I own. I got the idea from FWW, Aug 2000 issue.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Call Whitecap in Charlotte if you need more than 3/4like Phil said ore just sticker it with 2x4's and cut away. 2"Ridgid will be over 40$

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Did you try Lowes? I've gotten solid sheets of 2" from there before, although I'm up in VA so it might be a regional item for colder areas.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Pre-scored won't hamper you at all. In fact, I cut my 4 X 8 piece into 2 X 4 sections. Easier to maneuver, easier to store and I only have to use as many sections as needed. Not always cutting full sheets, or even plywood you know!

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Not sure that the pre-scored will break—installers don’t seem to treat rigid foam very delicately!

Have you tried any of the supply houses like Norandex, the Building Center or ABC supply?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I made one of these Works great but a hassle to setup. Need something quick and easy.
That's why I chose to build the one I did. With fold up legs, it folds flat into a unit that is 3 1/2" X 36" X 84". I have no trouble ripping or cross cutting a sheet of plywood in half either way. I use this bench instead of saw horses, except when using miter saw to cut molding and trim. Then I use an aluminum extension ladder, laid across either my cutting bench, or a pair of saw horses. Miter saw rests on a movable platform, and stock is also supported at each end by a pair of movable platforms.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
That's why I chose to build the one I did. With fold up legs, it folds flat into a unit that is 3 1/2" X 36" X 84". I have no trouble ripping or cross cutting a sheet of plywood in half either way. I use this bench instead of saw horses, except when using miter saw to cut molding and trim. Then I use an aluminum extension ladder, laid across either my cutting bench, or a pair of saw horses. Miter saw rests on a movable platform, and stock is also supported at each end by a pair of movable platforms.

Would appreciate it if you could post some pics. Thanks!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I bought several squares (2"x2'x2') from Lowes. You don't need total coverage under whatever sheet goods you are cutting, just enough to keep the board off the floor/table as well as stable. I think I have 8 squares and they work fine.

Pompeio

New User
Mike
I bought the 2" 4x8 sheet for my track saw from Home Depot. Cut it into two 4x4 pieces with a razor knife in their parking lot then taped the two pieces with some duct tape to act as a hinge for easy storage. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors