2/27 Cross Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Everyone, here is the first one that I have gotten done with this design. The cross box itself was designed by Clarence Vaughn (aka bubbantenn )at my request. As we collaborated on what I was looking for as a design Clarence came up with two different designs and the second will come soon. I decided to do this out of solid Red Oak and stain every other layer with a minwax Red Oak stain and then I designed the overlay of the three crosses for the lid. On the next one I think that I will use a different species of wood for the overlay to give more contrast between it and the lid. It measures 8"W x 10" L outside and is 3"D on the inside finished with a high gloss spray lacquer. Here are some different angles of the finished box. The finish is not completely cured so I do not have one with the lid on it. There is a 1/8" overlay on the bottom side of the lid that inserts into the box to keep the lid aligned on the box and to keep it from sliding off. Let us know what you think of this design good or bad. Thanks, Steve & Bubba ( Clarence )
100_1772.jpg
100_1773.jpg
100_1774.jpg
100_1775.jpg
100_1776.jpg
100_1777.jpg

sawduster

New User
Robert
Great teamwork bro :icon_thum
The only thing I might add would be to make a a base slightly larger and without the basket weave effect ...just my 2 pennies

Awesome work bro :notworthy:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nicely done Steve. Just don't stop there. Maybe a heart shaped box with a heart inlay or a bible box with the same kind of inlay.

I believe if you add a peg in one corner of the lid and a matching hole you can get the lid to swivel. Just a thought.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Nicely done Steve. Just don't stop there. Maybe a heart shaped box with a heart inlay or a bible box with the same kind of inlay.

I believe if you add a peg in one corner of the lid and a matching hole you can get the lid to swivel. Just a thought.
Hi Scott, I have a heart shaped box in my photo gallery with a compound cut heart knob on top of the lid. It is from a pattern that I had bought. This cross box was a totally new concept that I had bubba to help me with and this one was the prototype so we could work out any kinks or new ideas for it. Thanks for all of the comments and advice from everyone. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors