1st Box-so many errors

bainin

New User
bainin
This one took awhile. I had received (bought for myself) for Xmas the Infinity Lapped Miter Joint Router bit set and finally got around to
trying them out. I like them.

1st error was not setting the bits right, which left a gap in the glue up --lesson learned
2nd error - the insert plate for the top was just a bit too small and left visible gaps in the corner-which i hid with walnut squares
3rd error - some of the routing was over zealous-leaving the walnut burned in places--did my best to take it down with sanding but couldnt get all of it
4th error- i tried to gap fill here and there with epoxy+walnut dust which does ok but in some places I cant get it right

Haven't decided if I will put a finish on it..these images are just after a mineral spirits wipe off.

b

Attachments

• jewelbox4.jpg
    jewelbox4.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 173
  • jewelbox5.jpg
    jewelbox5.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 170
  • jewelbox6.jpg
    jewelbox6.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 175

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks great to me - but as I have told others you keep these pictures...
you WILL look back on it and see how you progress because you have the bug and the talent...

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
What piece of art is without the misgivings of it's maker?

You did some very nice work there despite your self criticisms. What you made I'm certain will be treasured by others, and probably you too down the road even if only as a learning experience. Take what you have experienced and build upon it for your next experience. And pray tell that you never build the perfect box that removes all inspiration to build a better one.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I think it looks nice. Finish filling that small gap and press on.

Do you find epoxy and saw dust better than regular glue and saw dust?

bainin

New User
bainin
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

The epoxy+walnut dust I find a better match for color than glue (like titebond) +walnut dust...the white of the glue
tends to lighten the color.

b

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member

The epoxy+walnut dust I find a better match for color than glue (like titebond) +walnut dust...the white of the glue

b
To be clear, are you talking about 5 minute epoxy glue or epoxy resin like folks use with dyes to make designs?

I have both and plan to experiment tomorrow with the one you used in the photo. I do find titebond works but is lighter as you said.

Thanks

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Looks good ! remember the maker always is their own worst critic. Pretty design

bainin

New User
bainin
To be clear, are you talking about 5 minute epoxy glue or epoxy resin like folks use with dyes to make designs?

I have both and plan to experiment tomorrow with the one you used in the photo. I do find titebond works but is lighter as you said.

Thanks
I have a 2 part Total Boat Epoxy that is normally used for deep pour..but its clear and all i have right now. I just mix tiny amounts.

Kelly

Kelly
User
People love to receive boxes. I always say that if you use nice wood with a pleasant-to-the-touch finish, people talk about that, not the minor flaws.
And save that box, or give it to someone very special with the explanation of the significance of it being your first.r

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member

b
Try switching to Titebond III. Also, clear Gorilla glue + sanding dust, not sawdust. I prefer 220 grit dust. Gorilla takes longer to dry.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I found out my younger nieces loved the ones with issues, as they just like having the box itself...

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Very, very nice! Over the years I have made a lot of different projects and most of it turned out well, however, I have yet to make anything that didn't have some sort of flaw(s). A very skilled craftsman once told me that craftsmanship isn't the ability to work flawlessly but the ability to make your work look flawless, I am still trying.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Making boxes forces you to learn accuracy. Any errors come back to bite you before you can finish the box. Make each piece square and to accurate dimensions, and the box will fit together without biting.

Charley

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
John Leake says to tell anyone looking at your work from closer than 3 feet they are being nosy. I have a solid walnut four drawer chest using case construction with half blind dovetails. I messed up the drawer spacing. The largest drawer is not on the bottom. No one has ever noticed.

I started to throw the case away. I am really happy I I have it.

If you do not know John take a look at his web site. He has a piece on display in Windsor Castle. He says he has never made a perfect piece.

If you spend all your time searching for perfection you will never truly learn the joy of woodworking. I keep telling myself this because I know I will never make a perfect piece. lol

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS