1930s keepsake trunk

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Many years ago (mid-70s), my wife and I picked up an old steamer trunk at a flea market in PA for around $20. It was in poor shape, with most of the interior paper missing or in bad shape. Over a couple of years, we worked on it off and on. I did the exterior, and my wife picked out some material to replace the paper and got it all together. It was a lot of work but it was well worth the effort. We have been using it as a linen storage chest at the bottom of our bed.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 44

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Many years ago (mid-70s), my wife and I picked up an old steamer trunk at a flea market in PA for around $20. It was in poor shape, with most of the interior paper missing or in bad shape. Over a couple of years, we worked on it off and on. I did the exterior, and my wife picked out some material to replace the paper and got it all together. It was a lot of work but it was well worth the effort. We have been using it as a linen storage chest at the bottom of our bed.
Nice work, looks like you used fabric on the inside, if so how did you apply it?

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Nice work, looks like you used fabric on the inside, if so how did you apply it?
Yes , it was fabric and we stripped off all the old paper and applied shellac to the wood walls. The fabric was applied to poster board with batting and then affixed with upholstery tacks to the walls, bottom and top and the same for the tray. It was a very time consuming process but gave the upholstery look. It has held up well for over forty years.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Was your paper coated inside and out.?

By chance do you have a photo of it?

Thanks
The trunk had a black fabric on the outside as far as I can remember. Not sure what was inside. I'm still moving into my new house and the trunk is buried in the garage. When I come across it I'll post a pic.

Red

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Here is a pic of the trunk I refinished back around '82 or so. It was sanded, stained Early American and then urethane. It's held up well over the past 42 years. We use it for decorative storage. Not sure of the age of the trunk. Good luck with yours.

Red

Attachments

• IMG_9726.JPG
    IMG_9726.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 27

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Here is a pic of the trunk I refinished back around '82 or so. It was sanded, stained Early American and then urethane. It's held up well over the past 42 years. We use it for decorative storage. Not sure of the age of the trunk. Good luck with yours.

Red
Thank you, I have another like that one as well. Also picked up in the 80s when I was dating my wife.

Look nice

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS