1930s keepsake trunk

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
This was my grandmother's trunk. It's in poor shape, smells and all the paper is dry and cracking. I planned to strip it down and paint or stain it but the wood is cracked or has bug holes from when it was a tree. I hate to lose the patina but see no other way for it to stay in the family and be used again as a keepsake box. I have found a few websites that have parts and some paper but not all the paper I would need to redo this inside and out. Some of the paper trim is over a dollar an inch and it is not worth hundreds to do the work right now. I don't plan to change any of the metal but maybe paint it. I do plan to replace the leather straps and hinges. Seems like an all or nothing project. I did keep some of the 1930s contents that was relevant to my grandmother like graduation stuff, wedding announcements and some family letters. Those will tie the past to the future.

Are there any suggestions or advice the group would like to offer as to process, procedure, suppliers etc..

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240201_151200.jpg
    20240201_151200.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 120
  • 20240201_151154.jpg
    20240201_151154.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 114
  • 20240201_151126.jpg
    20240201_151126.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 117
  • 20240201_151121.jpg
    20240201_151121.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I think I would take pictures of everything. Measurements of everything. Save all of the metal bits and rebuild. Replace the wood and leather (I am assuming that’s what I see) .

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I think I would take pictures of everything. Measurements of everything. Save all of the metal bits and rebuild. Replace the wood and leather (I am assuming that’s what I see) .
The wood is covered inside and out with paper designs.

Photos, measurements etc is an excellent idea as memories fail and this will take time and be a filler project.

The wood seems solid but a few worm holes. I could fill them and stain it or use a wash of sorts on the outside and make it look more like a steamer trunk and do the nicer new paper designs on the inside.

Thanks

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Jim,

You might consider taking photos of the different types of paper used (as mentioned above) ... and tiling the images into a larger document. You can then get the composite photo printed at Staples / Office Depot/Max / or other graphics print houses. You can then paste in the appropriate paper as needed.

The interior paper, I believe, was used to keep the contents free from the carcass of the chest ... and the things that might drip upon and leak through. I suspect the exterior paper was to cover the lower quality wood used (or may have been a design decision that allowed using a lower quality (secondary) wood.

A coat or two of clear varnish might improve the paper life, and would be more in keeping with the construction methods of that period.

Good luck with your project!

Regards,

Rick

Edit ... Ninja'd by Hitch!

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Here is a website that sells reproduction paper for the inside. You could also probably clean up a picture of the existing paper and have it printed.

Thanks, I did not find that sight nor had I thought about having it printed..

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Hi Jim,

You might consider taking photos of the different types of paper used (as mentioned above) ... and tiling the images into a larger document. You can then get the composite photo printed at Staples / Office Depot/Max / or other graphics print houses. You can then paste in the appropriate paper as needed.

The interior paper, I believe, was used to keep the contents free from the carcass of the chest ... and the things that might drip upon and leak through. I suspect the exterior paper was to cover the lower quality wood used (or may have been a design decision that allowed using a lower quality (secondary) wood.

A coat or two of clear varnish might improve the paper life, and would be more in keeping with the construction methods of that period.

Good luck with your project!

Regards,

Rick

Edit ... Ninja'd by Hitch!
Definitely 2nd grade lumber on exterior. It has a vertical pattern up the sides and that is all I have found preprinted just not the larger stock. Printing seems the way to go. The inside doors have a cloth type hinge that looks like a thick gauze type fabric. Probably easy enough to find and it will be covered anyway so not a big deal.

Thanks

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
What a cool box!
IMO, if it's covered with new paper and otherwise spiffed up, the history is hidden.
Given its provenance, if it were mine, I would coat it with shellac and leave it as is (maybe fix the cloth hinge).
I'd then build a working replica and cover/finish it as close as possible with new materials for someone to actually use.
Just a thought...

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
What a cool box!
IMO, if it's covered with new paper and otherwise spiffed up, the history is hidden.
Given its provenance, if it were mine, I would coat it with shellac and leave it as is (maybe fix the cloth hinge).
I'd then build a working replica and cover/finish it as close as possible with new materials for someone to actually use.
Just a thought...
That's a reasonable thought and much easier to deal with. I hate losing the patina on my other collectibles and a shellac would seal the oder that prevents it being left in the house. Thanks

NCsawdust

New User
TONY
My family trunk came over from Germany in the 1880’s the out side was covered in a painted or varnished canvas that I assumed was for waterproofing. The bare wood strips that the leather straps ran on top of the canvas and I just stained and cleared them.
Interior paper was shot. A friend of mine lined hers with cloth in an appropriate pattern. I intended to do that but after I finished the out side in the 80’s in went directly into use and has been since.
My suggestion would be to do some more research if you are trying to restore to original. Otherwise do what you think looks good and start enjoying your trunk.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
My family trunk came over from Germany in the 1880’s the out side was covered in a painted or varnished canvas that I assumed was for waterproofing. The bare wood strips that the leather straps ran on top of the canvas and I just stained and cleared them.
Interior paper was shot. A friend of mine lined hers with cloth in an appropriate pattern. I intended to do that but after I finished the out side in the 80’s in went directly into use and has been since.
My suggestion would be to do some more research if you are trying to restore to original. Otherwise do what you think looks good and start enjoying your trunk.
I don't think I can restore it completely. After seeing the responses I think my priority is to make it usable so it stays in the family as long as possible. I tend to be a purists in these things but by the time I do a little on this that little might be too much to retain the patina.

I will research a bit more but the more I think on it usable beats trashed my my kids or theirs. Some more online photos will help as well to decide the exterior. Interior seems easy enough with the products out there or even the fabric as you say.

Thanks

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had the trunk my great aunt took to Europe during WWI, she was a nurse.

My mother-in-law had it redone by a professional antique restorer.
They took the wood straps and all hardware off the trunk and stripped it, stabilized some parts of the wood, then covered the whole outside with black book cloth that looks a little like leather.
Then they refinished the wood straps, painted the metal with epoxy paint, replaced the leather, had a new key made to fit the lock, and lined the inside with nice heavy paper that looked like 1920s newspaper.

We were very happy with the way it turned out and my oldest daughter loves it.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I had the trunk my great aunt took to Europe during WWI, she was a nurse.

My mother-in-law had it redone by a professional antique restorer.
They took the wood straps and all hardware off the trunk and stripped it, stabilized some parts of the wood, then covered the whole outside with black book cloth that looks a little like leather.
Then they refinished the wood straps, painted the metal with epoxy paint, replaced the leather, had a new key made to fit the lock, and lined the inside with nice heavy paper that looked like 1920s newspaper.

We were very happy with the way it turned out and my oldest daughter loves it.
Thanks Mike,

All but the leather and lock seem reusable. It would take a delicate hand to pull the metal and wood off but I can be patient. Book cloth seems like a name I can Google.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim,
This is a noble endeavor. Best wishes for making it work for your family.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of "trunk liner paper" back in the day was simply repurposed wallpaper remnants.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of "trunk liner paper" back in the day was simply repurposed wallpaper remnants.
Highly likely especially during this depression era. Most in this box was 1930 to 1935. End of high school and thru college to their wedding announcements.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
What I did to my great-grandma's trunk was to remove all the outside fabric material. I sanded the truck as best I could then coated in urethane to protect the trunks history like the dings and scratches. I used all the old hardware and replaced the tired leather handles with something new that looked good with the old. I've used it in my house for the past 40 years and it's still going strong.

Red

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
What I did to my great-grandma's trunk was to remove all the outside fabric material. I sanded the truck as best I could then coated in urethane to protect the trunks history like the dings and scratches. I used all the old hardware and replaced the tired leather handles with something new that looked good with the old. I've used it in my house for the past 40 years and it's still going strong.

Red
Was your paper coated inside and out.?

By chance do you have a photo of it?

Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors