16" Oliver Jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, no idea what it's really worth but you'd need a heavy duty fork lift to move it.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Steve, you could try to find what a new 16" jointer would run you. Back in the 80's, a new 8" Rockwell/Delta jointer would cost $1400. You would need to go see the jointer in person and run a board or two over it. Check the tables for their alignment, I have heard those Oliver jointers can twist if the floor is not level. A lot of people over on OWWM.org seem to like them just fine. Let us know what develops.

Roy G

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Its an odd piece of machinery that very few can use (have room for) not to mention, how many 10" + boards have you ever jointed?. $3k seem very steep especially 3 phase.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Awesome machine, but that's too much. It was probably purchased for $500 on IRSAuctions or something similar, and the person was hoping for a flip.

That being said ... wow.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree it Seems a bit high. It is definitely a beast. Probably direct drive with Babbitt bearings. Poor to no dust collection, and it probably does not have a guard. A rotary phase converter will be around $500 or so.

I have a 16” Invicta and the additional width is very nice to have.

Not many can or are willing to do 3 phase so you can probably negotiate.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I guess if a single phase weekend recreational woodworker wanted to have a machine of that scale, all it would take is a motor and starter change. That's a belt drive machine and it looks like the guard is on the floor behind the machine. Bearings for that machine will be expensive if needed, but those precision bearings also make for a smooth and quite running machine. A machine built like that today would be well into five figures. That machine was made for architectural millwork shops, boat builders, and other large scale professional woodworking shops. Few recreational woodworkers work in the scale that such a machine is capable of handling. The beds are individually adjustable like many professional grade machine of that era.

The seller claims that it is one of the best jointers ever made. What limited experience I've had with that model, I tend to agree. There are a few others in that quality category but not many and they're rarely seen for sale. For a professional user that needs that scale of a machine, the price is very fair.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for the input/advice. I really would love to have it or one similar but can't justify the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS