1000 BF 8/4 QS Curly Hard Maple

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff scratch mine...I dint realize that this load was going to the western picnic..those mountain boys get all the good stuff
Got it and thanks

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" -- Benjamin Franklin

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I would take 50-60 if the price is right
Dirk, if you are going to the workshop at Bill Clemmons on April 2nd, I could pick up your wood from Jeff this next weekend at the get-together and then haul it to Bill's on the 2nd. Of course your risk is buying it sight-unseen and paying Jeff somehow. Let Jeff and me know if that works for you...

Rob

thsb

New User
Tim
I am also in the situation of not being able to get to the picnic to get the wood, as I will be out of the state at that time. My company has an office in Asheville that I go to regularly so could come get it very shortly after the picnic if anyone could store it for a few days i would be grateful. If not, there will be other wood runs. thanks, tim

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I would like to thank Tim (Thsb), Rob (McRabbet) & Bruce (Sawman101) for purchasing some of my 8/4 QS Curly Hard Maple at the Western NC picnic last weekend (Bruce's wife won a book matched live edge set during the drawing).

I believe you guys will be happy with your lumber. As I mentioned to Rob, I've made a number of bass guitars out of that lumber, they don't call your lumber "hard" maple for nothing. Due to the fact that your lumber is old growth, tight growth ring and highly figured - it's a bit different than the average bear... I would like to offer a few tips based on my experiences.

1) If at all possible use spiral head cutters for jointing and planing and light passes - the lumber is dense and hard therefore highly subject to chip out.

2) When sawing or routing, use sharp blades/bits and don't stop or you'll experience a burn marks. Your lumber will simply laugh at dull tooling...

3) Sanding works ok, but honestly scraping to a final finish is the best approach to achieve ultra smooth finish.

4) As far as finishing goes, any good "oil" based finish will pop the grain and bring out the natural deep orange hue that we all drool over.

Anyways if you guys have any questions - you know where am at - so just hit me up and enjoy your new lumber.

Thanks again :)

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" -- Benjamin Franklin

thsb

New User
Tim
Can't wait to get the wood from Rob. I really appreciate the kindness of folks (Rob and Jeff) on here as I couldn't get to the picnic but will end up with some wood. Hope i can do justice to it. Not sure what i am making with it yet but initially thinking coffee and side tables.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Can't wait to get the wood from Rob. I really appreciate the kindness of folks (Rob and Jeff) on here as I couldn't get to the picnic but will end up with some wood. Hope i can do justice to it. Not sure what i am making with it yet but initially thinking coffee and side tables.
Your welcome Tim - coffee and side tables would be a great use for you new lumber for sure.

Rob ended up with a live edged book matched set - I believe he was thinking about making two live edged sofa tables out of them instead of joining them together.

Several years ago I made 2 sets of QS red oak coffee / end tables, for some of my kids - one satin black and the other natural. I don't know if you like this design but was very simple to make with corner blocks,one bolt to secure each leg and no frills.

e6e44cbcd34e1c9cd87c94fe9482038a.jpg

8b9fe393280230768de3a041fd458091.jpg

3f3d0c22af1ecfc8f1d056280ad55a0d.jpg

Last edited:

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Just for Tim's (thsb) information, I have your lumber safely stacked and separated from my haul. Earlier today, I took my Jack plane and smoothed the last six inches of one of my boards and the wood is magnificent. Looking forward to developing some plans to use this beautiful wood in some projects for my kids.

I'll try to get some pictures of the wood in the next few days.

Tim, I haven't heard from you about delivering your lumber -- is a transfer at the Inlay Workshop at Bill Clemmon's shop in Liberty NC (south of Greensboro off US 421) on April 2nd okay, or do you want to venture farther west before then? Let me know by PM, please.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Just a quick follow-up - here's a closer view of the beautiful figure in this lumber.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
d51f89feb0fa17b6d0248ee78b0c0344.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Just a quick follow-up - here's a closer view of the beautiful figure in this lumber.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
d51f89feb0fa17b6d0248ee78b0c0344.jpg
Yep that'll be the stuff... BTW, I see a bass guitar wing there -:lol

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Tomorrow I hope to get a day in the shop! I will check the moisture content of the live edge planks you gave my wife and I Jeff. I still don't have a plan, but I'm thinking of some beautiful boxes first. Thank you so my Mr. CrealBilly. You sir, rock! :icon_thum

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Tomorrow I hope to get a day in the shop! I will check the moisture content of the live edge planks you gave my wife and I Jeff. I still don't have a plan, but I'm thinking of some beautiful boxes first. Thank you so my Mr. CrealBilly. You sir, rock! :icon_thum
Boxes would be nice... It's been dried but may need to acclimate to your NC climate a little.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hey CrealBilly...do you have any of this left? I am looking for some 8/4 at 8' long.
YES I have about 700 or so BF left and maybe 100 or so BF @ 8' long. Of course the 8'ers or on the bottom of the stack.

FYI - I live in southern IL though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors