10 round semi-automatic... rubber band gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
My son has been asking about building a rubber band gun for quite some time and we finally found the time.

DSC_9670.jpg

I used the following design from Ogg Craft: http://oggcraft.jp/eng/eng_howto_aioh_2.html
If I understood the guy's website he has been building rubber band guns since the 70's :eek:! I suggest you check out his site. Very cool stuff.

I did all the stock preparation but my son could help with the scroll saw work. These guns could be built pretty fast if you used CA or something. I used tightbond III so it took a while to do all the different glue ups.

Here is a video of the original designer's gun in action: Video here ( YouTube )

Some detailed pictures of the "gun":
DSC_9664.jpg
DSC_9665.jpg
DSC_9666.jpg

Turned out to be a quick and fun project that I think my son will remember. It is a big hit with the neighborhood kids :).

Thanks for reading!
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Neat project for the kids, Salem. :icon_thum But I have to admit, when I read the title of this thread I had trouble figuring out what you were talking about. I wasn't thinking about toys. I was trying to think if I have one of those in the shop. :icon_scra Oh well, it's early. Maybe after another cup of coffee I'll be thinking clearer. :slap:

Bill

eyekode

New User
Salem
I bought size "19" rubberbands (whatever that means :)). They need to be pretty thin otherwise you cannot load all 10 slots without them interfering with each other. And I selected the length to be ~1/2 the stretched length.

This size works ok. You could probably go with a little smaller to increase the stretch.
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
All my kids are pretty young so the rule is no pointing it at anyone. Just target practice with cups and pumpkins and skeletons etc. I did however take it into work and unload on my ex-boss :).
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
I did work in mm. But only as much as I ever work from plan dimensions. So for example all the pieces that get sandwiched together between the two sides of the gun were milled with the same planer settings. Are they 9mm? maybe? but probably not.

The longest part of the project for me was figuring out the real design of the gun. You know how it works. After that the exact dimensions are not so important. I did however have to recut the ratchet piece because I did NOT understand the design before I made it to the plan dimensions. If you make this project don't drill the pivot for the ratchet until after you have the trigger assembly put together. Furthermore I would not drill the hole in the trigger assembly until after it is glued up and ready to receive the ratchet. Otherwise you have to be very careful in the glue up to make sure the holes line up for the pivot.

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS